• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flush Metal Toe Taps vs. Rubber Flush Toe Taps

iloveshoes

Reaction score
So I have been researching the debate on flush toe taps. A few questions I have regarding having metal vs rubber. First, what is the lifespan of a flush metal toe tap compared to having a rubber tap. I know answers will probably be generalizations. I definitely like the look better of metal flush taps. Second, I heard the arguments that the metal taps can be very slippery. But is this more for non flush taps? Would a solution be to use the flush metal taps then topy the shoe right up to the tap? The next no one will probably be able to say for sure. I have a really good cobbler that I have used many times. I asked him about the metal flush taps, and he loved the idea. I have seen him do flush taps with rubber and leather to add on the toes, but he has never done the metal ones before. I think he is one of the best in Seattle, as there are not too many other good cobblers around here. Is this a skill he can transfer over? The threads I have read make it seem like it is more of a challenge to get the materials if the cobbler is good, than it is for him to do the flush taps.

I appreciate any feedback or advise anyone may have for me. I am a newbie here on the forms but do love my shoes!

Thanks

Snedley

Reaction score
So I have been researching the debate on flush toe taps. A few questions I have regarding having metal vs rubber. First, what is the lifespan of a flush metal toe tap compared to having a rubber tap. I know answers will probably be generalizations. I definitely like the look better of metal flush taps. Second, I heard the arguments that the metal taps can be very slippery. But is this more for non flush taps? Would a solution be to use the flush metal taps then topy the shoe right up to the tap? The next no one will probably be able to say for sure. I have a really good cobbler that I have used many times. I asked him about the metal flush taps, and he loved the idea. I have seen him do flush taps with rubber and leather to add on the toes, but he has never done the metal ones before. I think he is one of the best in Seattle, as there are not too many other good cobblers around here. Is this a skill he can transfer over? The threads I have read make it seem like it is more of a challenge to get the materials if the cobbler is good, than it is for him to do the flush taps.
I appreciate any feedback or advise anyone may have for me. I am a newbie here on the forms but do love my shoes!
Thanks

Why bother with any of that. Unless you drag your feet when walking the front doesn't wear out.

iloveshoes

Reaction score
I do not necessarily drag my feet, but am interested in preserving the life of my shoes.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lmaligaya

Reaction score
Yeah, the toes will wear out as you step forward. The only way the toes wont wear is if you "march" and step flatfooted.

Anyways, why would you want to do a rubber toe tap? it seems like the durability of rubber is similar to leather and the extra seam is an additional point of failure for delamination and wearing out. While I think that metal caps look nice, i heard they are loud and can be slippery depending on your gait. My shoes with nails on the heel are incredibly slippery on ice and tile.

L

iloveshoes

Reaction score
It is just an idea that I have heard and seen before. I would think that rubber would wear longer than leather, but like I said I am a newbie and would like to hear what advise people have from past experiences. I saw a picture of one that I really liked somewhere here in the forums of a combo flush metal tap with the sole being topy'd.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, the toes will wear out as you step forward. The only way the toes wont wear is if you "march" and step flatfooted.
Anyways, why would you want to do a rubber toe tap? it seems like the durability of rubber is similar to leather and the extra seam is an additional point of failure for delamination and wearing out. While I think that metal caps look nice, i heard they are loud and can be slippery depending on your gait. My shoes with nails on the heel are incredibly slippery on ice and tile.
L

forget it and every shoe in the world is slippery on ice. except you have steel spikes installed, which is unlikely.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It is just an idea that I have heard and seen before. I would think that rubber would wear longer than leather, but like I said I am a newbie and would like to hear what advise people have from past experiences. I saw a picture of one that I really liked somewhere here in the forums of a combo flush metal tap with the sole being topy'd.

this horse is dead. topic has been discussed ad nauseum and no consensus found. it's all about personal preference.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Some people like to skin the dead horse and make shoes of its arse.

i've heard a lot of these skins are wasted...

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't want my shoes to be the one's used by someone to learn anything on. I contacted B. Nelson earlier this week about metal toe taps and he charges $35 plus $15 shipping. If you send more than one pair shipping will go down. Like fritzl said it is personal preference. Only way to know is try it, I'm sending off a pair of black PTB which I seldom wear to see what I think of them. If it works I'll send more and get rid of those cheap looking plastic toe taps. Nick can also build up the toes if they are worn which many of mine are, and put in the flush taps something that I think only experience can provide. While it snowed here Monday we are headed into that couple of months called piss poor sledding, so not sure about ice and snow. But I normally walk flat footed outside then (penguin walk like everyone else) anyhow and I have miles of tile and marble to get a feel for how they handle in the mean time.

knezz

Reaction score
Dead Horse aside - I use rubber taps on heels and toes. My concern is the metal tap scratching my wood floors as well as the loud sound on the concreate and brick walkways. At times I do drag my toes which will cause unusual wear. I install the taps myself. I inspect them each every now and again when cleaning and polishing. If the taps are worn a bit - I replace them before wearing again. They may not be as sexy as the recessed metal taps but are functional and inexpensive.

How have the metal taps treated your hardwood floors?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Personally I wouldn't want my shoes to be the one's used by someone to learn anything on.
I contacted B. Nelson earlier this week about metal toe taps and he charges $35 plus $15 shipping. If you send more than one pair shipping will go down. Like fritzl said it is personal preference. Only way to know is try it, I'm sending off a pair of black PTB which I seldom wear to see what I think of them. If it works I'll send more and get rid of those cheap looking plastic toe taps. Nick can also build up the toes if they are worn which many of mine are, and put in the flush taps something that I think only experience can provide. While it snowed here Monday we are headed into that couple of months called piss poor sledding, so not sure about ice and snow. But I normally walk flat footed outside then (penguin walk like everyone else) anyhow and I have miles of tile and marble to get a feel for how they handle in the mean time.

well, it's no rocket science.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dead Horse aside - I use rubber taps on heels and toes. My concern is the metal tap scratching my wood floors as well as the loud sound on the concreate and brick walkways. At times I do drag my toes which will cause unusual wear. I install the taps myself. I inspect them each every now and again when cleaning and polishing. If the taps are worn a bit - I replace them before wearing again. They may not be as sexy as the recessed metal taps but are functional and inexpensive.
How have the metal taps treated your hardwood floors?

I have metal toe taps, both flush (by Nick V. and done excellently) and not-flush, and no hardwood floor damage or excessive walking noise. Don't use heel taps due to personal preference but Fritzl has great looking flushed heel taps but can't remember which thread the pic was posted on.

As long as they prevent toe wear, flush or not, then it serves my purpose.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have metal toe taps, both flush (by Nick V. and done excellently) and not-flush, and no hardwood floor damage or excessive walking noise. Don't use heel taps due to personal preference but Fritzl has great looking flushed heel taps but can't remember which thread the pic was posted on.

you mean this?

DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

As long as they prevent toe wear, flush or not, then it serves my purpose.

this

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads