1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fluid/dynamic/ongoing B. Nelson Experience

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gyasih, Mar 23, 2011.

1. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

Do you interpret "let us fix your wife's shoes for free, and I'll charge you $30 for flush mounte plates" as a solution?

As I said, I have no dog in this fight. It's not my place to determine what is the right/wrong solution.

I hope for the best resolution for both parties.

2. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

As I said, I have no dog in this fight. It's not my place to determine what is the right/wrong solution.

I hope for the best resolution for both parties.

No problem, most people don't think I gave him a chance to resolve. My posts #1, 9, and 16 all point to my dealings up to the point where Nick, a representative of B. Nelson, said B. Nelson. Is it the final solution, I don't know and stated that we'd see today?

3. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

No problem, most people don't think I gave him a chance to resolve

I thought you had accepted as such. is this point being disputed by anyone? you posted this thread before you had been in touch with him re: your complaints, correct?

4. officeboy

officeboy Senior member

I think a good example of what I'm talking about was a recent post/review of TheTieBar. The poster was contacted privately, and every effort was made to not only make wrongs right but to ensure the customer was happy. (I don't even think there were wrongs in this case, just not 100% satisfaction)

This speaks to the dedication and professionalism of the business. While posting in a thread is their right, I really think it would be the rare case where it would help them.

5. Axel Ferguson

Axel Ferguson Senior member

lol what? you cant start a thread to slander someone then claim the effect of that is out of your control

Slander doesn't mean what you think it means.

6. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

I thought you had accepted as such. is this point being disputed by anyone? you posted this thread before you had been in touch with him re: your complaints, correct?

Yes, it seems to be. Many people commented on not giving him a chance to resolve it prior to posting. I agree that I posted pictures prior to speaking with someone from B. Nelson

Everything else was based on interactions with representative from there, including a resolution (final one, unsure). None of my comments were directed at a person, but the quality of the work!!!!!! I posted pictures, said that I would take them in, spoke about what happened the first time going in and then posted what happened when we met.

7. makewayhomer

I don't understand.

to be clear: after you saw the shoes, did you contact them at all before you posted here?

8. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

That looks really bad. Seriously. I wouldn't care if it's a 50 dollars pair of shoes, but some of our shoes cost North of 500.

I think that the OP reserves a right to post. That's the function of democracy - accountability that, in turn, leads to improvement.

If you're going to sweep everything under the rug, other might be unaware of the mishaps, and over time, there might possibly be a greater retrogression.

is that a head of a screw protruding through the sole?? WTF??

If so - as though the 'craftsman' didn't notice that poking through when he was looking at the damned shoe while screwing it in - instead he seems to have done nothing and hoped that the customer wouldn't notice. The toe plate isn't even mounted flush FFS.

[​IMG]

9. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

No problem, most people don't think I gave him a chance to resolve. My posts #1, 9, and 16 all point to my dealings up to the point where Nick, a representative of B. Nelson, said B. Nelson. Is it the final solution, I don't know and stated that we'd see today?

Why don't you get off the computer and come and pick up your Shoes?
    I'm leaving at 4:00

10. onix

onix Senior member

[​IMG]

11. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Just called and Wilfredo said call you in 20 minutes, you were with a customer. On my way.

Thanks

12. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Senior member

I take it you missed the giant thread about EG returning someone's shoes with -- gasp! -- *edge dressing* on the uppers?

Why should this thread be singled out for your scorn? Dude got *two* pairs of shoes ruined, was told it was his fault for refusing the upsale, oh noes! -- and we're supposed to feel bad for the store owner, why? Because he uses SF for advertising?

I was kind of hoping this attitude was limited to the brands marketing to the SW&D kids. [​IMG]

Sorry, this is a completely different situation. If EG's recrafting is awful, then no one will send in shoes for recraft. This doesn't change the fact that their shoes are gorgeous and people will still buy the shoes, maybe just think twice before trusting a recraft. I did see that thread, and I posted in it, noting specifically that ANYTIME somebody has work done on anything, they should mentally prepare themselves for the possibility that things don't come back perfect.

No one is going to stop buying shoes from EG if one guy's shoes got a dab of edge dressing on them as part of a recraft.

However, Nick's business IS recrafting, and it's a sole proprietorship (I think), not a company selling hundreds for thousands of pairs of shoes per year. This is a man's business, a man's livelihood.

I think enough people here have chimed in that I'm not in the minority - it was not quite decent to start this thread in the public eye without trying to resolve it first. Yes he can post about it if he wants to. This is a public forum. People on said forum are also permitted to form views about the morality of the act of posting certain kinds of things on the forum. I would not post negative things about an individual man's business the way OP did.

13. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

b/c of this:

here is a similar situation:

a couple of weeks ago, I bought a pair of pants from a seller here on B/S. they arrived with a stain. rather than starting a thread called "Awful experience with poster XYZ!!!" I got in touch with him, he was completely reasonable, and we worked it out to our mutual satisfaction. no harm no foul.

just imagine if everytime a sale in B/S didn't go 100% smoothly, one party started a thread about it. the forum would just be flooded.

try to be reasonable with your counterparty. you have not been.

thats great for you, buy i would not want to receive on first purchase a pair of stained pants, or from servicing my shoes with a hole punched in them, regardless of the final resolution

14. makewayhomer

thats great for you, but i would not want to receive on first purchase a pair of stained pants, or from servicing my shoes with a hole punched in them, regardless of the final resolution

nobody does. I sure didn't. I'm not saying it's optimal, I'm saying that mistakes by humans happen, and rather than try to damage somebodies name when they do happen, you give them a chance to rectify.

15. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

It seems like some posters have a problem with OP posting an up to the minute account of his dialogue with B. Nelson prior to an actual resolution - but isn't that sort of just arguing semantics or OPs use of present tense vs. past tense?

If OPs story were written as "Here's what happened to my shoes, I complained, Owner is attempting to resolve, I'll let you know what happens" versus "Here's what happened to my shoes, I complained, owner resolved by doing x", what is the difference? It sounds like he was going to post on the forum one way or the other that there was a nail poking out of his shoe.

As someone who was considering taking some shoes over to B. Nelson for taps, the main points of interest in this story to me are (a) the nail that is coming out of this guy's shoe, and (b) how was this issue resolved. I expect the answer to part (b) will be described shortly.

This "crisis" is going to be resolved to his satisfaction or dissatisfaction but does it really matter if the OP decided to relay the story in its entirety (at its conclusion) or in installments?

16. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

Just always check your order before leaving. whether your picking up your drycleaning, alterations, shoe repairs, take out etc.

First it saves you time and gas of another trip with gas at $4 it adds up. Secondly it removes any ambiguity.

The last 5 pages or so have been a debate on whether the op should have posted prior to getting it resolved etc etc etc.

What it boils down to is discretion. No one likes to be publicly embarrassed. If people have issues with someone or an establishment they should let the person know and do it discreetly. In this case put yourself in Nick's shoes, as far as you know someone dropped off shoes, your craftsmen worked on it, they picked it up and everything is great. You go online and then you find the person was not happy, there's a thread on a public forum with a thousand views, about their poor experience. No one wants to be broadsided. It's not just SF group think, or people are B Nelson fanboys.

17. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Just called and Wilfredo said call you in 20 minutes, you were with a customer. On my way.

Awww, so sweet... get a room. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. makewayhomer

If OPs story were written as "Here's what happened to my shoes, I complained, Owner is attempting to resolve, I'll let you know what happens" versus "Here's what happened to my shoes, I complained, owner resolved by doing x", what is the difference? It sounds like he was going to post on the forum one way or the other that there was a nail poking out of his shoe.
    agree, but that's not what OP did or wrote. it was: "here's what happened to my shoes! I'm pissed! they better fix it it, but I'm not sure what they're gonna do b/c I havent talked to them yet." with the thread title "negative experience" thats a lot different than the bolded.

19. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

let's assume you guys were in the op's position. what could be done to rectify a hole in your shoe that would meet your satisfaction and not feel the need to vent about it? i don't think there is a fix for this. you can patch it, but it'll never be the same.

20. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

let's assume you guys were in the op's position. what could be done to rectify a hole in your shoe that would meet your satisfaction and not feel the need to vent about it? i don't think there is a fix for this. you can patch it, but it'll never be the same.

It is far more diplomatic and better manners to allow someone the opportunity to make amends of their mistakes in private. You are also more likely to get the result you want without ruining a potential long term relationship. It is true in life as it is in business.

I am not bothered by what the OP did. Though I would not have handled it in the same manner.

But I definitely would post the experience after the issue have been finished - satisfied or not. This is doubly true if I feel that the problem is due to incompetence as opposed to accidents happen. Because by then it would be a complete narrative, with a Start, Middle, and Finish. It gives all the party involved the time to make their decisions, and they will be judged based on their full action as opposed to having every development beholden to the (increasingly vicious) public opinion.