Fluid/dynamic/ongoing B. Nelson Experience

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gyasih, Mar 23, 2011.

1. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Sorry, this is a completely different situation. If EG's recrafting is awful, then no one will send in shoes for recraft. This doesn't change the fact that their shoes are gorgeous and people will still buy the shoes, maybe just think twice before trusting a recraft. I did see that thread, and I posted in it, noting specifically that ANYTIME somebody has work done on anything, they should mentally prepare themselves for the possibility that things don't come back perfect.

No one is going to stop buying shoes from EG if one guy's shoes got a dab of edge dressing on them as part of a recraft.

However, Nick's business IS recrafting, and it's a sole proprietorship (I think), not a company selling hundreds for thousands of pairs of shoes per year. This is a man's business, a man's livelihood.

I think enough people here have chimed in that I'm not in the minority - it was not quite decent to start this thread in the public eye without trying to resolve it first. Yes he can post about it if he wants to. This is a public forum. People on said forum are also permitted to form views about the morality of the act of posting certain kinds of things on the forum. I would not post negative things about an individual man's business the way OP did.

A business is a business, large or small. As for Morality, I have more morals on one of my ass hairs than you have in your entire body.

I met with Nick and began by apologizing for the backlash that he received. This was not my purpose. I wanted to detail my experience with a well-regarded forum member. Could I have handled it differently, sure.

The resolution that was proposed, fix my wife's shoes and pay $30 for flush plates, was the one that was completed. My wife's shoes were not done. She won't be happy at all because she notices things as as/when they happened. Nick explained how that couldn't have happened in his shop. I believe different, but I am happy with they way in which he communicated it to me and moved on. My shoes look great, 10 out of 10. He was able to put the plate on and conceal the hole. I will post a picture later.

Overall, I am happy with the way this turned out. Nick was pleasant to me and I appreciate the way he handled me in his shop.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, even those that I disagree with. Would I recommend his store to others, sure? People just need to know about potential mishaps.

2. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

3. NORE

NORE Senior member

Typical SF mob mentality to attack the victim. Happens over and over again. Very puzzling.
    +1 Just dont get it !!
    shame some people dont appreciate transparency
    Some people are just idiots. I applaud the OP for posting this. Not too sure about how Nick handled this online. Moral: Scrutinize the work done (anywhere) before leaving. Because once you leave, "it's your fault".

4. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

5. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Senior member

So let me get this straight -- they put a hole in your shoe with a nail and you paid them an additional $30 to fix it? That doesn't make any sense. How you came out of this situation paying more money is beyond me.

6. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

OP, was it a nail from the toe taps which caused the hole?

7. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Senior member

A business is a business, large or small. As for Morality, I have more morals on one of my ass hairs than you have in your entire body.

I met with Nick and began by apologizing for the backlash that he received. This was not my purpose. I wanted to detail my experience with a well-regarded forum member. Could I have handled it differently, sure.

The resolution that was proposed, fix my wife's shoes and pay $30 for flush plates, was the one that was completed. My wife's shoes were not done. She won't be happy at all because she notices things as as/when they happened. Nick explained how that couldn't have happened in his shop. I believe different, but I am happy with they way in which he communicated it to me and moved on. My shoes look great, 10 out of 10. He was able to put the plate on and conceal the hole. I will post a picture later.

Overall, I am happy with the way this turned out. Nick was pleasant to me and I appreciate the way he handled me in his shop.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, even those that I disagree with. Would I recommend his store to others, sure? People just need to know about potential mishaps.

Nice font size. Your indignation and level of defensiveness says a lot.

8. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

For someone not involved in this incident personally, this kind of remark is plain idiotic.

9. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

God damn, this thread was good fun!

I am happy it all worked out for everyone. My 2 cents after reading the whole thing in one sitting: 1) I cant figure out how the nail could have punctured the shoe from the inside. Looks like a JFK "magic bullet" to me, but I am not a cobbler. 2) I have and will continue to use B. Nelson. 3) How many of you in the City went down to 55th street to see this confrontation in person?

10. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

God damn, this thread was good fun!

I am happy it all worked out for everyone. My 2 cents after reading the whole thing in one sitting: 1) I cant figure out how the nail could have punctured the shoe from the inside. Looks like a JFK "magic bullet" to me, but I am not a cobbler. 2) I have and will continue to use B. Nelson. 3) How many of you in the City went down to 55th street to see this confrontation in person?

No confrontation, it was pleasant.

For someone not involved in this incident personally, this kind of remark is plain idiotic.

So true

You are an idiot!!!!!!!!!! This is my full page ad. The media often falsely accuses, etc. in one font and apologize in another. This is the reverse.

11. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

gyasih: For the sake of curiosity, please help us understand how the nail came to be poking out like that. It's been questioned several times so far, by different people. I'm mystified, myself.

12. onix

onix Senior member

^ You probably should put a link into the first to this outcome. So that later, people don't have to go through a dozen pages to figure out how it went.

13. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

I'm amazed that B. Nelson had the audacity to charge for either the initial plate or the flush plate after what happened. Great to see this thread posted! It has over 6,200 views. Good for potential customers to know about how B. Nelson treats their clients. I'd been planning to send in a pair to them soon for a resole. That now won't be happening.
    Thank you. I don't want your shit cluttering up the waiting list. I'll continue sending my shoes to B. Nelson.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

1) I cant figure out how the nail could have punctured the shoe from the inside. Looks like a JFK "magic bullet" to me, but I am not a cobbler.

gyasih: For the sake of curiosity, please help us understand how the nail came to be poking out like that. It's been questioned several times so far, by different people. I'm mystified, myself.

It's really not that complicated - same as what you see here but with a longer nail so it went all the way up to contact/hit the upper. A nail that's too long and hammered through the welt/sole will come out on the other side and hit the shoe upper.

[​IMG]

15. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I'm amazed that B. Nelson had the audacity to charge for either the initial plate or the flush plate after what happened. Great to see this thread posted! It has over 6,200 views. Good for potential customers to know about how B. Nelson treats their clients. I'd been planning to send in a pair to them soon for a resole. That now won't be happening.
    apropos screenname