• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fluctuations in weight

wja

Reaction score
From reading this forum I have conceived the idea that all of you are tall, slender, and well-proportioned.  Your weight rarely varies by more than a couple of pounds and you can spend considerable sums on fine clothing, knowing that the garments will fit you well for decades.

Then there's me.  When I get to 195 I diet and shoot for 185, hoping that I may drift around 190 for a while.  I haven't been able to exercise for a year (back) and now touch 200.  After the surgery in 2 weeks I'll lose weight - initially by eating percocet instead of food and then by getting back to the gym.  And so it goes.

Despite the best of intentions I go up and down.  How do I reconcile this reality with my wish assemble a decent wardrobe?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lets put it this way, WJA, I myself didn't get to a bespoke wardrobe as a result of having a perfect body. I can't speak for anybody else here, but my clothes are designed to hide a wide range of flaws, and handle slight changes.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
No doubt. Especially this time of year I'd say there are several who have fluctuated up a bit. I've got to drop some weight from where I am now to get into some nice clothes that await a slenderer me. I think there are a number of younger guys on the board who still haven't hit the full reality of fighting the bulge. For those of us 30 and older, it's most likely hit.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
lets put it this way, WJA, I myself didn't get to a bespoke wardrobe as a result of having a perfect body. I can't speak for anybody else here, but my clothes are designed to hide a wide range of flaws, and handle slight changes.
He said it. My weight, and therefore the fit of my clothes, fluctuates too. But instead of lamenting it, I actually use it as motivation: I'd rather hit the gym and watch what I eat than give up my custom made suits. Vanity, thy name is PeterMetro.

JohnMS

Reaction score
Despite exercising regularly for the past 20 years, age is closing in on me and I now have two sets of clothings. I refer to them as my 'fat man' and regular wardobes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as petermetro said, i use my clothes as motivation. i'm a size 34 waist right now, and i go between 32 and 34 all the time. most of my pants are cut to a 33 so that i can wear them more or less regardless of how my weight has fluctuated. my favorite suit has a pant size of about 32.5 and i'm trying to get back into shape because the last time i wore that suit i looked ridiculous.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
as petermetro said, i use my clothes as motivation. i'm a size 34 waist right now, and i go between 32 and 34 all the time. most of my pants are cut to a 33 so that i can wear them more or less regardless of how my weight has fluctuated. my favorite suit has a pant size of about 32.5 and i'm trying to get back into shape because the last time i wore that suit i looked ridiculous.
Matador, people who have 32 inch waists should be careful about getting on a thread about people who are not happy with their weight. I last had a 32 inch waist in high school.....

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wow, when I ran a marathon I couldn't get my waist that low. the lowest I have weighed since about age 13 was 132, after a really bad case of food poisening right after graduating high school.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

stache

Reaction score
When I have something made I make sure that there are very generous seam allowances in all the right places. And as globetrotter says, a garment made on your body fits a wider range of your own sizes. At this point I have assorted clothing in about three size ranges.

Associate

Reaction score
I'm 34, 5'7" and currently hovering around 150. Lowest I ever been since high school is about 130 (during a 6 months trip to South East Asia when I was 22). Highest ever is close to 160 (3 months of stduying for the bar exam).

True, I bulked up considerably since my 130 days, so some of it is muscle mass, but not all. As I'm getting older, I find I have to run (metaphorically) as fast as I can just to stay in place. I eat less and less, to the point of acting almost like a (hungry) chick. I look with astonishment at people who eat two slices of pizza for lunch. Last week I had dinner with a colleague and she laughed at me becuase I ordered two appetizers instead of an appetizer and an entree. Never you mind about desert. And I find I have to exercise more and more. I swim during the week and ride a bike on the weekend, and I'm pretty much stuck at 150.

Weird thing is, I can never gain weight under the waist. I have the perfect legs. Perfect, that is, for an anorexic super model who is rather on the short side and hairy. If I could redistribute some of my upper body weight into my legs, than I might have something going.

My pride and joy is that I managed to maintain waist size 32 since high school. Sometimes I can get into a 31, other times I look like a candy apple on a stick, but even when I gain weight, as long as I'm wearing size 32, I not officialy fat...

benchan

Reaction score
Well, my waist is about 30-31, but never been able to fit into any regular or slim fit jeans say the Levis 501 in 31W*34L.

For maintaining and keeping weight off, I suggest a very simple exercise--Rope Skipping, start from skipping 300 times a day and work it up to 1000. All it takes is 15 mins max daily.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.