• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Floyd Mayweather

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw this guy fight last night for the first time. He absolutely destroyed that stiff from New Jersey. Not a weight class I normally follow, but man, this guy is a stud. Now that Tito Trinidad is retired, Puerto Rico's big hope is Cotto, but I have to agree with Max Kellerman who said Mayweather, at this point, would use Cotto like a dish rag.

Anyone else see that fight last night?

PHV

Reaction score
I saw this guy fight last night for the first time. He absolutely destroyed that stiff from New Jersey.  Not a weight class I normally follow, but man, this guy is a stud.  Now that Tito Trinidad is retired, Puerto Rico's big hope is Cotto, but I have to agree with Max Kellerman who said Mayweather, at this point, would use Cotto like a dish rag.

Anyone else see that fight last night?
Saw that fight last night... Gatti was pathetic.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This belongs in the "show your boxers" thread...
smile.gif
Mayweather is good, but I've never liked the heavier guys. They are too slow and clumsy. Cruiserweight is my preferred division for watching.

PHV

Reaction score
smile.gif
Mayweather is good, but I've never liked the heavier guys. They are too slow and clumsy. Cruiserweight is my preferred division for watching.
Have you seen mayweather? He is unbelievably quick.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
(Stu @ June 26 2005,06:40) I saw this guy fight last night for the first time. He absolutely destroyed that stiff from New Jersey. Â Not a weight class I normally follow, but man, this guy is a stud. Â Now that Tito Trinidad is retired, Puerto Rico's big hope is Cotto, but I have to agree with Max Kellerman who said Mayweather, at this point, would use Cotto like a dish rag. Anyone else see that fight last night?
Saw that fight last night... Gatti was pathetic.
To be more charitable, Gatti has a big heart, but his boxing skills were never A+ and age has slowed his reflexes. For a champion fighter he has lost a pretty large # of fights.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
smile.gif
For some reason I thought Floyd Mayweather was a heavyweight... he's not. He's a junior welterweight. At about 140 pounds, I'd guess he'd be pretty quick. Thats what happens when Roy Jones Jr. decides to go up and down the weight ranking and fight everyone and their mother all the way from 140 up to 200lbs. I think he made me dizzy. Especially when he got knocked the hell out... didn't see that one coming.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i missed the fight but arturo gatti has always been a punching bag. even when he wins he loses.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be more charitable, Gatti has a big heart, but his boxing skills were never A+ and age has slowed his reflexes. For a champion fighter he has lost a pretty large # of fights.
I can never say anything bad about Gatti after the Mickey Ward fights.

PHV

Reaction score
(Patrick Bateman @ June 26 2005,18:53) To be more charitable, Gatti has a big heart, but his boxing skills were never A+ and age has slowed his reflexes. For a champion fighter he has lost a pretty large # of fights.
That is what someone told me... apparently the fight of the century.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
(gorgekko @ June 26 2005,21:53)
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman,June 26 2005,18:53
That is what someone told me... apparently the fight of the century.
There were three of them, and they were all fantastic. Maywhether was primarily known for his defense, but this weekend he was much more aggressive. I was impressed.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of jumping around, but that is because in the grand pursuit of the almighty dollar, there now exists a maze of championship belts and weight divisions that in some instances are only separated by 5-10 pounds. For instance, a top lightweight fighter can start at welterweight 140, move up to superwelterweight, and then advance to junior middleweight, and not even have put on more than 25 pounds in weight. The middleweight division is 168.

Someone also erroneously pointed out that Roy Jones started out as a welterweight and moved to heavyweight. No one has ever done that. Not even Roy Jones. Roy Jones was only the 2nd boxer in history to be the middleweight as well as heavyweight champion. James Toney also accomplished this feat for about 3 days, before his victory over John Ruiz was overturned due to a failed drug test. The fact that they both beat the stiff John Ruiz to win something called the WBA heavyweight championship somewhat dilutes the potency of the accomplishment in my eyes. I think the first guy to win the middleweight and heavyweight championships was Fitzsimmons, and he did it at a time where there was one middleweight champion and one heavyweight champion, not an IBF, WBC, WBA WBO, IBO, NABF etc. One of us could probably mail order a title at this point.

The other thing is fighter's styles make for good fights. If you put a Gatti and a Ward in the ring, it will be a "good fight" because neither guy has any defense to speak of and they don't move laterally. They come forward into whatever you're throwing. But put them in the ring with a speedster like Mayweather and they'll look sluggish. Alot of it also has to do with the referee, who is, ahem, hand-picked by the head of the alphabet soup boxing organization who is sanctioning the fight (i.e. the head of the WBC, Jose Sulaiman, is Don King's whipping boy, hence, Don King's fighters are generally the ranked contenders for the WBC belt; this is why you never see two great fighters with different belts fight each other unless everyone agrees on the split - - see Tarver v. Johnson, both men had to give up their respective belts because they had to fight the No.1 mandatory contender/challengers - - of course, it makes no sense that if Tarver has the WBC version and Johnson has the IBF belt, how is Tarver not the No.1 contender for Johnson's belt??? but anyway . . .)

Back to the referees . . . a good example are the legendary Sugar Ray Leonard/Roberto Duran. Duran was the straight ahead basher/brawler, Leonard the quick, speedy counter puncher. In the first fight, the ref allowed Duran to clinch and hold, to fight his fight, be physical, and so he pretty much whipped Leonard. In the second fight, the new ref didn't allow Duran to clinch, which opened up the ring for Leonard and let him dance and do all that stuff he liked to do.

Anyway, don't know what point I was trying to make originally, but I have to agree that welterweight and other lightweight divisions are definitely where its at for great boxing. And Zab Judah might be better than Mayweather, very similar style to Mayweather, he currently has ALL of the belts at some weight around there.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Someone also erroneously pointed out that Roy Jones started out as a welterweight and moved to heavyweight. No one has ever done that. Not even Roy Jones.
Actually, what I said was that he moved up and down weight classes, which he did, and that he fought people from 140-200lbs, which was a somewhat erroneous statement. Welterweight class starts at 140, but he's never fought anyone at 140. He's actually fought from 151-226lbs, including welterweights David Edens, Billy Mitchem, Jorge Vaca, And Ron Johnson. And He actually fought at 154 and 153lbs against Stackhouse and Daigle respectively. Which BTW are welterweight weight ins. So there
tounge.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were three of them, and they were all fantastic.
Yeah, like PhiloVance pointed out earlier Gatti and Ward are fairly one-dimensional boxers but God, how I loved watching them. Neither would give up. It may have not been an exhibition of skill but like you said, they were fantastic fights.

That said, Mayweather made him look like a *****. You had an A+ boxer against a C boxer. All the heart in the world couldn't have saved Gatti.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim,
Ya got me on that one.

Not to hijack the thread, but how did you guys like Mayweather's intro for the fight? It looked like he was carried in on a throne while they played Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust." Very WWF, I liked it. I thought the fancy, over-hyped ring entrance went out with Roy Jones and especially Prince Naseem Hamed. Not much of a fighter, and the obvious stereotyping aside, can anyone top Hamed's entrance when he "flew" into the ring on a flying capret??? I give Hamed's flying carpet entrance a 10, the one wear he danced in front of a silk screen for like 10 minutes so all you could see was his silhouette, I give that one like a 7, it was lame but must have been ridiculously infuriating for his oppopent. I like Mayweather's, at least he's trying to bring it back, I give him a 7.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Slim,
Ya got me on that one.

Not to hijack the thread, but how did you guys like Mayweather's intro for the fight? It looked like he was carried in on a throne while they played Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust." Very WWF, I liked it. I thought the fancy, over-hyped ring entrance went out with Roy Jones and especially Prince Naseem Hamed. Not much of a fighter, and the obvious stereotyping aside, can anyone top Hamed's entrance when he "flew" into the ring on a flying capret??? I give Hamed's flying carpet entrance a 10, the one wear he danced in front of a silk screen for like 10 minutes so all you could see was his silhouette, I give that one like a 7, it was lame but must have been ridiculously infuriating for his oppopent. I like Mayweather's, at least he's trying to bring it back, I give him a 7.
Hamed was an exciting a fighter, the way Tyson was exciting when he was starting out, he was a quick, vicious KO artist. I'm sort of dissapointed that he's been laying low since just after 9-11. Maybe he'll make a comeback one of these days, when muslims aren't treated like they are all terrorists. Granted, he was a showman first, and a boxer second, but 36-1 is not a poor record for anyone. That guy was friggin fast. Until Barerra exposed him as impatient and probably a little immature, not many people could actually lay a hand on him in the ring. Plus, anyone who takes seven minutes to get to the ring because of his elaborate staged entrance only to knock out his opponent in the first 35 seconds (the Lawal fight I think) has got a pretty decent set of cojones. At least the people got to see a show. Tyson never had that appeal, until he started biting people that is.

Plus his flips over the top rope are sweet. To each his own I guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads