• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Floto Duffle Bag

Reborn

Reaction score
After searching for a somewhat reasonably priced duffle I found Floto Bags recommend on here but without any real pictures or reviews. I seemed like a really good deal for the price and they pitch a good story on the website. I purchased a venezia duffle off of one of their ebay sellers and it was dropped shipped to me straight from Floto. Here are some pictures I took:

img5101ld6.jpg

img5102or8.jpg

img5104uv3.jpg

img5105iw7.jpg

img5106cj5.jpg

img5108nj0.jpg

img5109jl5.jpg

img5112bf8.jpg

Overall I was unhappy with the bag and returned it shortly afterwords. The leather was plasticy, very shiny and very thin everywhere except that one exposed triangular piece between the zippers where the bag opens. Overall I think the quality left a lot to be desired and I'm going to spend some more and get something that will last a lifetime.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The area with the hole - that does not look like leather. Looks like vinyl. Can you tell for sure?

Reborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
The area with the hole - that does not look like leather. Looks like vinyl. Can you tell for sure?
The bag was already sent back but I also think it might have been vinyl. It was very thin and as you can see in the second hole picture it has some white mesh like backing. I'm not 100% sure if the body of the bag is also made out of that but it sure felt like it. Very thin and the same plastic/vinyl feel. I found what the second to last picture shows very disturbing. It's the only leather on the bag that exposes the back and lets you can get a god feel for, yet it is clearly a different material then that used in the rest of the bag except for maybe the handles. I don't think they ever say the bag is made from 100% leather on their site but the wording seems to imply that or at least be tricky enough to make one think the majority of it is.

Reborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
That bag looks like junk.

It's times like this that I wish computer screens were scratch and sniff. The thing smelled horrible. Tons of chemicals and very little "Italian leather".

NOLA1

Reaction score
good to know. I had been thinking bout getting one.

Kaizen

Reaction score
It looks like another decent company has gone downhill.
frown.gif

I bought a Floto bag several years ago, and I've been happy with it (especially for the price). However, based on your pictures, I can easily see why you sent yours back.

rilian

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your bag experience. I'm going to recommend Glaser again. Expensive, but durable as hell.

Seeing their bags in person really made me a believer. When I went to their shop they showed me a bag they made that happened to be in the 9/11 attacks. It had been sitting out exposed to weather for days. It got some water damage, but apparently, all the contents found inside were safe and dry.

I thought the water marks actually made a cool pattern on the leather too.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My wife has three floto bags, and all have been wonderful and very durable. Surprised to see this.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
That's the first thing I thought too. That certainly looks like vinyl.

Reborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Maybe it was a fake?

Drop shipped from Floto in a Floto box, with Floto paperwork and shipped directly back to them.

joefloto

Reaction score
Hi everyone - we only use veggie tanned top grain Italian calfskin in our bags. I agree that the damage / hole makes it look like vinyl in the pics but its not - just an unfortunate defect. It should be noted that this is a 2008 model - the 2013 Venezia Duffle has a much better strap. Hope that helps! Founder, Floto Imports

MrWN

Reaction score
Hi everyone - we only use veggie tanned top grain Italian calfskin in our bags. I agree that the damage / hole makes it look like vinyl in the pics but its not - just an unfortunate defect. It should be noted that this is a 2008 model - the 2013 Venezia Duffle has a much better strap. Hope that helps! Founder, Floto Imports

Thank you for the reply, sir. I am planning to pick up a duffle bag and am considering one of the Flotos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads