• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Florsheims?

1qaz2wsx3edc

Reaction score
How are Florsheims shoes as a cheaper alternate to AE's? Decent quality? Good value for the price?

Thanks in advance!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Search the forum. There are a couple on here who like them but not many. Most are glued, not welted, which gives them a short life span. The last welted ones I had didn't last long either. I would wait for AEs on sale.

1qaz2wsx3edc

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the info.

I liked the style of a few of them, and they pretty reasonably priced. Will keep in mind about the glued/welted soles things.

In general how much longer does welted last compared to glued?

I'm pretty new to all this.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. Not worth it. Get some AEs on sale.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1qaz2wsx3edc
Okay, thanks for the info.

I liked the style of a few of them, and they pretty reasonably priced. Will keep in mind about the glued/welted soles things.

In general how much longer does welted last compared to glued?

I'm pretty new to all this.

Depends on a lot of things--how often you wear them, how much walking you do, etc. Let's put it this way though. I have a pair of AEs that I wear probably twice a week. They are a year and a half old, and they are still in *fantastic* condition. I had a pair of Johnston & Murphys, a shoe similar to Florsheims, and they fell completely apart in 8 months.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glued shoes can generally be re-soled once, welted multiple times.

Leverandon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aravenel
Depends on a lot of things--how often you wear them, how much walking you do, etc. Let's put it this way though. I have a pair of AEs that I wear probably twice a week. They are a year and a half old, and they are still in *fantastic* condition. I had a pair of Johnston & Murphys, a shoe similar to Florsheims, and they fell completely apart in 8 months.

+1 My glued Johnston & Murphy's that I wore about twice a week lasted me about a year before the sole completely fell off the upper. I've had my AEs as long and they look like they just came out of the box. Save up your pennies and buy a pair of AEs.

Bandit44

Reaction score
Depends on the shoe. The Florsheim Kenmoor is a welted shoe with a double sole and uses full-grain leather. The Veblen is also a welted shoe. But these are the exception to the rule.

Knucklehead

Reaction score
I can vouch for the sturdiness of the Kenmoor. I got mine on ebay for 50 dollars. At that price point one can hardly lose.

Roger Everett

Reaction score
If you get the Imperials ( $ 170 & up ), they aren't that awful bad. But not the greatest fit, and then there is that MADE IN INDIA printing inside. They are not any where near what they were years back, before they were bought out and used for their name, and quality took a nose dive.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on how old the shoes are. If you can find Florsheims from pre-1980's, you've got some real solid shoes. They were still USA made, and pretty good.

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by isshinryu101
Depends on how old the shoes are. If you can find Florsheims from pre-1980's, you've got some real solid shoes. They were still USA made, and pretty good.

I've got a pair of Imperial Gunboats in burgundy. Real solid!

pgd3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1qaz2wsx3edc
In general how much longer does welted last compared to glued?.

Hard to compare really,

If someone owns 20 pairs of shoes, and wears a cemeted (glued) shoe 1 time a month, that shoe would likely last until it is either no longer stylish, or perhaps just plain "aged".

Where a true welted shoe shines is that if you wear it every 3rd day, or forbid, every day, the shoe will not come apart.

As a cemented shoe goes, if you own a pair of sneakers that you've worn a bit, they are cemented. When the sole starts to peel apart at the toe, that's the cement letting go.

Jamie Wynge

Reaction score
I still have some spectators I bought in '01, Florsheims, that I wear once a month or so, and they are great. Comfortable and polish well, still on the first leather soles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads