• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Florsheim Veblen longwing - most versatile color?

oso101

Reaction score
Planning on picking up a pair of these, as they're the best longwing in my price range:

http://www.florsheim.com/shop/style/12071.html?gclid=CNDQ9Kaura8CFUPf4Aodsiaapg

But I need some advice: which color would be most versatile? I'm thinking either brown or wine.

These would be mostly for wearing with dark denim and for my casual nonprofit office (think chinos and a casual button up shirt).

But it would be great if they could also be dressed, when needed, with a blazer, wool trousers, or even perhaps a mid-gray suit.

So, which color will be most versatile?

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Planning on picking up a pair of these, as they're the best longwing in my price range:

http://www.florsheim.com/shop/style/12071.html?gclid=CNDQ9Kaura8CFUPf4Aodsiaapg

But I need some advice: which color would be most versatile? I'm thinking either brown or wine.

These would be mostly for wearing with dark denim and for my casual nonprofit office (think chinos and a casual button up shirt).

But it would be great if they could also be dressed, when needed, with a blazer, wool trousers, or even perhaps a mid-gray suit.

So, which color will be most versatile?

brown, rust or brandy.

Brown is probably the best.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
I kind of like rust. It's a colour you can play around with and maybe change with polishes and that will probably change interestingly.

Maegnus

Reaction score
I own a pair in brown and find them more versatile than my burgundy shoes.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clarification:
The Florsheim website states 'double oak soles' on these shoes. What it should say is 'double layered Oak Bark Tanned' soles. Without the word 'tanned' in the phrase, their phrasing suggests the soles are made of wood and this is not the case.

The safest and most versatile colour would be Wine. The more adventurous, yet still quite versatile colour would be Rust. The Brandy would be my choice without question. The Brandy may be more restrictive by comparison but with some wardrobe matching skills, offers a much more cheerful effect.. With some creative polishing you can patina, darken or two-tone the Brandy.as you like or remove it later.. What should determine your choice should be what best serves a need.. At this price, why not buy several pairs?

facet

Reaction score
My preferences would be Rust, Wine and Brown, in that order. I think they would all be equally appropriate and versatile for the purposes that you've listed, IMHO.

Last edited:

WorldWideWafflz

Reaction score
I own the Haviland (same shoe, rubber soul instead of leather) I bought the "brandy" but if I had to do it again I would go either rust, navy, or the dark brown, and I would definitely go for the double leather soul like you are. Whatever you do, scrub the internet for a sale code or something. The shoes work but they're not worth the $175. You can easily get them for less and they make more sense. At this point I've got better shoes but I wear these often as a very casual shoe like I would a sneaker, or when I know it's going to rain or I'm going to be walking on lots of dirt. If I get another year or so out of them I'll call it a success. They're not built to last but they're attractive shoes for the price, they do a great job as a shoe you don't have to over think putting on or spend extra time caring for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads