• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Florsheim Cordovan Wingtip

Gordon Freeman

Reaction score
Howdy,
I saw these for sale and wonder how the quality is and what to pay for.
Advertised as barely worn with leather uppers/ leather and rubber soles, with minor creasing across the toes.
No further info was given.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

well-kept

Reaction score
Every indication is... cordovan-colored calfskin. Recent manufacture.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gordon Freeman
Is calfskin not good?
No, it could be good depending on who made it. Those are cordovan colored corrected grain (corrected is not). Probably outsourced to Asia.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gordon Freeman
Is calfskin not good?

To elaborate, the implication is that they're not shell cordovan -- a pricey, durable material made from horse rump. There are often posts here seeking to identify whether shoes are made of shell cordovan or cordovan-colored calfskin, as shell is considered very desirable in some quarters. But that's not to imply that there's anything wrong with cordovan-color calfskin. (Unless, as jml notes, it's poor quality calfskin.)

Hope I didn't just bore you with stuff you already knew.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Were you the winner?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
No, it could be good depending on who made it. Those are cordovan colored corrected grain (corrected is not). Probably outsourced to Asia.

May I ask what does it mean corrected grain and how one can determine that it is such from this picture? Also, I would appreciate if you could give me a few pointers as to how you determined that the corrected grain on these shoes is not corrected or particularly bad.

Thank you I appreciate a good lesson.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
May I ask what does it mean corrected grain and how one can determine that it is such from this picture? Also, I would appreciate if you could give me a few pointers as to how you determined that the corrected grain on these shoes is not corrected or particularly bad.

Thank you I appreciate a good lesson.

Corrected grain means that the leather had flaws and its appearance has been corrected. It's lesser quality leather, in short. The best leather, non-corrected top grain, has a depth of color and a life corrected grain lacks.

Corrected grain is sometimes very easy to spot, and sometimes very difficult. Any shoe that looks plasticky is usually corrected grain (if it's not plastic); any shoe that looks excessively shiny is usually corrected grain; and any shoe that looks unnaturally uniform in color and appearance is usually corrected grain.

One big tipoff is price: Most shoes short of AE level/price will be corrected grain. (Even some AEs use corrected grain.)

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Corrected grain means that the leather had flaws and its appearance has been corrected. It's lesser quality leather, in short. The best leather, non-corrected top grain, has a depth of color and a life corrected grain lacks.

Corrected grain is sometimes very easy to spot, and sometimes very difficult. Any shoe that looks plasticky is usually corrected grain (if it's not plastic); any shoe that looks excessively shiny is usually corrected grain; and any shoe that looks unnaturally uniform in color and appearance is usually corrected grain.

One big tipoff is price: Most shoes short of AE level/price will be corrected grain. (Even some AEs use corrected grain.)

hmmm..my 350 dollar bally shoes(didn't pay 350..paid 50)...have a shiney finish..I wonder if they're "corrected".

But, if you look at the shoes on the aldenshoes site, they all look extra shiney also...

Would that mean......they are "corrected"?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nighttrain7404
hmmm..my 350 dollar bally shoes(didn't pay 350..paid 50)...have a shiney finish..I wonder if they're "corrected".

But, if you look at the shoes on the aldenshoes site, they all look extra shiney also...

Would that mean......they are "corrected"?

Bally - probably yes, although I don't know. Bally's 350 line are about as good as other shoes that retail for 200.

Alden? most likely not.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It can be tricky to judge leather quality in real life, much less in pics. The Aldens shouldn't be corrected grain, though. Good leather can be polished to a high shine, but rarely will they come from the store in that fashion.

My trick for judging leather quality when you're first starting out: Smell the shoes. Good leather has that distinct aroma, and poor-quality shoes usually lack it. Some cheap shoes even smell of chemicals.

Not fullproof, of course, but another tool for the toolbox.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What size shoe are you? I have a pair of Allen-Edmonds shell cordovan wing tips coming in in a 12.5. If they don't fit, I can let you have them at my cost, which is under $250.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads