Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Florsheim by Duckie Brown Cordovan Shoe & Boot Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

i should have kept these. now i just have BB credit laying around and this would have been the perfect spring/summer shoe [​IMG]

But no.

You would have gnashed your teeth every time you saw the loose stitching and dye overrun. I'm of the opinion that when it comes to things you WANT rather than NEED, that you shouldn't compromise -- even if it means you have to save another $300.

2. piergiacomi

piergiacomi Senior member

I think this is not shell cordovan, and I doubt that this leather is simple cordovan. We have some leather of shell (from Horween) and I never see this grain. I will not talk of the realization, but for create a pair of shoes are needed three feet of leather (shell price about 90$ for feet), count yourself for shoes price.
    During the recent Brooks Brothers sale, I purchased the tan cordovan longwing made by Duckie "Duckey" Brown. I got them in the mail today and here is what they look like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see from the various closeups, the leather looks poor for Cordovan and its made by Horween to boot. The color is "tan" but looks really flat for shell; no luster. The dark spots on the vamp seemed to have been caused from excess/leaking tanning oils. Also, the right heel is as wide as a softball. Shoes appear to be in brand new condition so I have no explanation for this.

The quality seems to be several notches below Alden. Stitching is loose in some areas and the shoes smell like lacquer, presumably from the sole dressing. As some other posters previously mentioned, these are in fact made in India.

One plus is that these shoes fit great! I am a TTS 12 and these 12D fit perfectly! I have a pair of Alden LWs on the grant last in 11.5 and these fit just as good if not better.

SO question, should I keep these? I want a pair of Alden LWs in whiskey but I am not ready to pay $650 for a pair. After taxes, shipping, etc I paid ~$360 out of pocket for these. They retail for $575 before taxes & shipping on the BB website

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I think this is not shell cordovan, and I doubt that this leather is simple cordovan. We have some leather of shell (from Horween) and I never see this grain. I will not talk of the realization, but for create a pair of shoes are needed three feet of leather (shell price about 90$ for feet), count yourself for shoes price.
    $90/sq foot? [​IMG]

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

BB put several pairs back up for their sale. Selling for $431.25. Buyer beware [​IMG]

5. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Senior member

It's fine. I paid almost $500 for my ravelo wingtips from leathersoul but they're perfect. What you paid won't be matched anywhere.

how did you buy ravello wingtips from LS for 500 dollars?

6. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

return it without a receipt and try to get store credit for the full retail. i've done this before.

[​IMG]

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

im willing to guess that he bought them years ago. maybe back when LS first opened their doors

8. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

get real, they don't look worse than a randomly picked pair of whiskey Aldens. Look fine to me.

If they fit perfectly and you are satisfied, it's a decent buy.

If you are going to secretly covet Aldens and end up buying Aldens in a year anyway, then it's not a good buy.

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Namor, i think you are happier with the Peal &Co cordovan boots... hope you sent these back

10. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

They were close outs and size 12. I also bought them February 2010 before price increases.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

get real, they don't look worse than a randomly picked pair of whiskey Aldens. Look fine to me. If they fit perfectly and you are satisfied, it's a decent buy. If you are going to secretly covet Aldens and end up buying Aldens in a year anyway, then it's not a good buy.
    I agree with you, just looking at them you couldnt tell the difference. But the pair I recieved was in horrible shape. I dont know how QC didnt catch it. The fit however, was a dream [​IMG]
    Namor, i think you are happier with the Peal &Co cordovan boots... hope you sent these back
    I am. I did ship the LWs back
    They were close outs and size 12. I also bought them February 2010 before price increases.
    wow, nice pickup. my size too [​IMG]

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

13. forex

forex Senior member

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Construction on these must be universally crappy if even the sample pics at that link have obvious flaws (look at the stitching around the toe, for instance).
    haaa, you should read this entire thread if you havent already [​IMG] The shoe fits great and at $300, hard to beat. I just kopped a pair from Zappos. My journey is now complete. whew!