• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Florsheim by Duckie Brown Cordovan Shoe & Boot Thread

Kwaker

Reaction score
i didn't have luck with the GILT codes floating around ... they were apparently for specific accounts only.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So are the real shell shoes painted, or just the fake cordovan/calf ones?

Last edited:

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
edit: Shell from Gilt cannot be trusted, just a waste of time

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gilt shell does scare me. Like someone else mentioned, Gilt may be selling the "seconds" in which case they drop-off in quality is huge. Florsheim Duckie Brown cordovan from Zappos and NM can look like actually shell (i.e. not painted over)
received my package from Zappos:
DSC01988.jpg
DSC01991.jpg
DSC01990.jpg
Vamp looks okay. heel still jacked up, oh well. im keeping these
Meh. Received the burgundy shell boots. Im convinced Florsheim India doesnt have a finishing department. Even though they ar made from Horween Cordovan, these look like **** out of the box. Dry, no luster whatsoever.

Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gilt shell does scare me. Like someone else mentioned, Gilt may be selling the "seconds" in which case they drop-off in quality is huge. Florsheim Duckie Brown cordovan from Zappos and NM can look like actually shell (i.e. not painted over)

...or they are the "specially made for Gilt" murky nonsense. In any case Gilt likely gets lower cost - and thus lower quality - merchandise and also doesn't know or care about what it's selling.

Mine were from Brooks Brothers and look just like Namor's pictures.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
myhabit.com had DB on sale today. Only Socks !! These DB cordovans are seasonal line and they are nearly year and half old. All the retail stores cleared their stocks. I think gilt collected the last seconds and returned stock from DB and once sold out from gilt that’s it they are gone !! Cordovan at $249 ……
**I have received my DB navy cordo. Have not opened the box yet. Will check tomorrow morning and will post pictures !

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Third time lucky. My DB Navy cordovan. Perfect conditions. At $249 a bargain !

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Duckies back on Gilt! No cordovan, but I have to admit these look good in pebble grain cognac. Wouldn't take a chance on them, though. And WTF? Gilt listing them as $650 retail for calf!

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ These looks like real deal. I had a chance to see them in Sydney store. I already bought 3 pairs of DB shell cordos in last 3 weeks. These shoes are solid. 3 ply goodyear welted leather sole and about 700gm+ per shoes. Few issues with some pairs ...I guess some of gilt stocks are store returns and factory seconds. My last pair the Navy pair is flawless. These shoes also has good and comfortable thick leather insole. To be honest a flawless pair of these LW I would rate them above AEs any day.

ElDave

Reaction score

So are the real shell shoes painted, or just the fake cordovan/calf ones?

For what it's worth, I have a pair of shell wingtip boots sitting in my house right now that are unquestionably painted. They have a thick coating on them that started to crack within 20 minutes, do not look/feel/smell like cordovan (or even real leather), and I truly question if they are even cordovan (even though it was confirmed by Florsheim).

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ These looks like real deal. I had a chance to see them in Sydney store. I already bought 3 pairs of DB shell cordos in last 3 weeks. These shoes are solid. 3 ply goodyear welted leather sole and about 700gm+ per shoes. Few issues with some pairs ...I guess some of gilt stocks are store returns and factory seconds. My last pair the Navy pair is flawless. These shoes also has good and comfortable thick leather insole. To be honest a flawless pair of these LW I would rate them above AEs any day.

These look great, but pretty sure not shell, as they are pebbled leather. You can't see in these smaller photos.

But are you saying they looked great in person, even not being shell?

I would take a chance if they weren't final sale.

Last edited:

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Third time lucky. My DB Navy cordovan. Perfect conditions. At $249 a bargain !

Sick! Out of curiousity, do they have the Horween stamp?

I was tempted to pick up a pair myself, before they sold out.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah would have grabbed the navys if this thread didnt show what a risk it was

did you guys get sorted out with Gilt at least? any updates?

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Namor hasn't posted here, but in a different thread he said he sent all his shoes back to Gilt and got a refund. We need more details...

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sick! Out of curiousity, do they have the Horween stamp?
I was tempted to pick up a pair myself, before they sold out.

They do have stamp on the sole.

Gilt said they refunded me $50 for my Dark cherry pair due to some black spots. Still waiting for the money to comeback to my card !
My cordovan colored pair still waiting for a reply from gilt. I may just ask gilt to refund another $50 on this pair as well.

These look great, but pretty sure not shell, as they are pebbled leather. You can't see in these smaller photos.
But are you saying they looked great in person, even not being shell?
I would take a chance if they weren't final sale.

These are pebbled leather. But they are really nice. After seeing them in store (sold out on my size) I was looking at online to find them. But Once I found them on gilt I decided to get the cordos becos the calf and cordos were same price.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads