1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Florsheim by Duckie Brown Cordovan Shoe & Boot Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Mar 16, 2011.

1. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

looks good N. FWIW ive been pleased with mine. quality is mediocre....but the price was so low i really cant bitch. mine has developed a bit of something near the seam...almost like a layer is peeling off? hard to explain. ill snap a pic this evening.

2. Tommi

Tommi Senior member

Does last shape of Florsheim by Duckie Brown longwings differ from that of good ol' Florsheim Imperial longwings?

3. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

I have 2 pairs of calf Kenmoors and a pair of Duckie Brown shell cordovan longwings. All 3 pairs are made in India and fit the same ... same last.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  4. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

EDIT ... all 3 pairs I mention above are 8.5D, but after wearing the Duckie Browns recently, I was reminded that it fits up to a half-size bigger than the Kenmoors. I had to install a tongue pad in the DB to take up space. But otherwise, the last shape is the same.

5. droid

droid New Member

Recently picked up a pair of old black bal cap toe Florsheims. Any idea when they were made, what the model is? The instep displays the codes "121275 F" and "20331." I've inquired with Florsheim customer reps, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I'll post here if they do. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I think I know what you are referring to. DB "paints" their shell with a thin veneer to enhance the color. I've also seen this on a black pair. Gives the shell some extra shine. As far as I know, "painting" shell is a common industry practice but companies like Alden are much more effective at it (e.g. Color #8).

7. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

came across this pic, i think through SF..

can anyone shed light on the pair on the right? current/upcoming model? old pic, long retired?

thanks in advance

[​IMG]

8. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Navy cordovan brogue boots arrived from New York a few days ago. Making a long story short: blob-like but close-fitting last, weak stiffeners on heel and toe, poor lasting around heel, a few unpunched brogue holes, some stitchings askew, true Made in India quality but at least the Horween cordovan is the real McCoy. A decent find on eBay but (was) not worth the trouble at full prices. The last has a close fit around the ball of foot, elsewhere I'd say it's an X; not large enough to size up but will need thick socks or separate insoles. The navy shade is a cold one instead of the usual dark blue.

Preview:
    [​IMG]

The rest are here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/qelsem/sets/72157637657582685/

1 person likes this.
  9. cannan

cannan Senior member

Previously made. They were for sale and may still be by a member here (Namor).

10. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

if anyone have a pair of 7.5D for sale. Please pm me. thanks

11. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

I purchased this pair of burgundy cordovan LWBs from rennavate. But since I already had a pair of Alden 975s, I felt comfortable in experimenting with this pair. What I basically did was to expose them to this winter's sun for a good 2 months ... as expected, they lightened up considerably from a uniform dark burgundy to an uneven reddish-brown colour . Unfortunately, they have also become quite dry and so I will eventually need to condition them. Overall, I like the accelerated patina ... now only worn with denim and khakis.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  12. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

Instead of the AE cordovan cream, which will probably darken them some, I would try Saphir Renovateur. I use it occasionally on my shell cordovan, and it seems to absorb well into and nourish shell cordovan.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  13. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

The AE cordovan cream certainly imparted some pigment. I'll be wearing them again to determine how long it takes for the pigment to wear off.

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

What's the verdict on the DB Florsheims? I'm looking at a pair (not shell) and am wondering if I should size down a half size or if that's only for the shell shoes.

Thanks!

15. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

TTS has worked well for me in the non shell.

16. ridethecliche

Thanks!

How wide are they at the toe? I wear an 8.5D in AE but also own some of their 8E's which tend to fit better.

17. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Mine are a little tapered in the toe. Similar to AEs 333 last, which I think is AE's most european last.

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

yeah the taper on the DB is pretty nice. dare i say its very sleek for a blucher classic american style shoe

19. ridethecliche

Okay, so you guys would advise going TTS. Taper would imply more space or less? I have 8.5 AE Shell Leeds (PTB) and they're too big.

Thanks for the help guys.

20. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I wear most AE 8 EEE and DB 8 d fits well. I believe they are 1/4 size larger than TTS. The shell used in DB very good and triple leather Goodyear welting is rock solid. If occasional care is taken they could easily last 20++ years.

1 person likes this.