1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Florence Shop List.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by whnay., Sep 13, 2009.

1. gazman70k

gazman70k Senior member

Beijing | Hong Kong | Manila | Shanghai | Singapor
    Updated as at Oct 09. Arturo & Co. Via Porta Rossa, 50r Arturo & Co has closed its Via Porta Rossa location. The place is boarded up and abandoned. My guess is that its closed for good. Liverano & Liverano Via dei Fossi, 43r Liverano & Liverano is amazing and is a "must visit". [​IMG] Principe Via del Sole, 2 An excellent store too. A huge selection RTW as well as a MTO service. Great location and certainly a store one may get lost in. Prices are mid tiered. Surprised to find a Principe in Pisa too. Tie your Tie Via dei Federighi, 7r Always great to drop in and have a chat with Simone. A great store. Ceri Vintage Via dei Serragli, 26r A hidden gem but a little hit and miss since its a vintage store. Didn't have any interesting men's wear during my visit. They have recently taken deliver of some very nice off cuts of leather hides. Pity that they are heavy, otherwise there were a few nice pieces that Zee's in Hong Kong could do wonders with. Someone mentioned Boggi. Interesting store carry mid market RTW. Think the GANT of Milanese tailoring. Finally, no one here seemed to mention the discount shopping outlets located in the outskirts of Florence in the green hills of Tuscany. There are several of these but I only had time to visit one, which was sadly called "The Mall". Its located about 35 minutes from Florence and the outlets at this location included: Burberry Bottega Veneta, Ermenegildo Zegna, Fendi, Giorgio Armani, Gucci, Hogan, La Perla, Loro Piana, Salvatore Ferragamo, Sergio Rossi Tod's, Valentino and Yves Saint Laurent. The stock last season and factory seconds. Most items were priced between 25% to 60% off before any VAT refunds. To get there, a shuttle bus service is available at 25EURO per person. Alternatively, there is a public bus service from the Florence SITA bus station.

2. comrade

comrade Senior member

Same question for you guys. Am I missing something or have the wrong addresses?

Arturo & Co.
    Via Porta Rossa, 50r

Simone Abbarchi
    B.go SS. Apostoli, 16

Eredi Chiarini
    Via Roma 16r

Leonardo Bugelli
    Via Fra' Bartolomeo, 21r

Liverano & Liverano
    Via dei Fossi, 43r

Milord
    P.zza Strozzi, 12/13r

Principe
    Via del Sole, 2

Tie your Tie
    Via dei Federighi, 7r

Roberto Ugolini
    Via dei Michelozzi, 17r

Hidetaka Fukaya
    Via de' Federighi, 6r

Saskia Wittmer
    Via S. Lucia, 24r

Stefano Bemer
    B.go S. Frediano, 143r

Roberto Ugolini
    Via dei Michelozzi, 17r

Madova
    Via Guicciardini, 1r

Ceri Vintage
    Via dei Serragli, 26r

Need a briefcase?

http://www.ottino.com/

The Best!

3. TintinATL

TintinATL Senior member

Just got back from a brief Italian trip including Florence. Did not get much opportunity to shop but did want to add to the restaurant discussions here.

Cibreo is definitely worth a visit. It comes across as a tourist trap, and it clearly caters mostly to tourists – but that's true of almost all Florence. Don't be put off... the style is a little cheesy, including the fact there's no printed menu, but they sit down and talk you through then menu. However, the food really is good and includes many things you will not find outside Italy. The lamb's brains were off the menu when I visited, which saved me the dilemma of choosing between my desire to try new things, and my fear of what their texture would be like. The tripe salad, roast pigeon with mustard-fruits, and pappardelle with hare sauce were all excellent and, as I say, rare treats outside Italy. The wine waiter gave us good advice and his recommendation was far from the most expensive on the list. Desserts were less remarkable but by that time we were pretty full anyway.

Another treasure in Florence is La Pentola d'Oro (the pot of gold) - on a corner slightly off the beaten track. There's a tiny ground floor space and a larger basement where they assume the tourists want to sit. We asked for the ground floor - wooden tables, benches and stools, right next to the kitchen. This place is fascinating - they aim to reinvent Tuscan cuisine by reaching back to Etruscan history. The food is experimental but very satisfying, and unlike anything I have ever had before. The place is very informal - there was an Italian couple next to us and the wife was breastfeeding her baby at one point. The menu changes a lot, apparently, and is only in Italian, but ask for Brunhilde (really) who is charming and translates excellently despite repeatedly apologizing for her English.

We stayed at the Hotel Savoy which is very central and highly recommended. It's certainly 4 star, maybe 5, without doubt one of the nicest hotels I have stayed anywhere. THICK linen sheets which were changed daily whether we wanted or not, an extremely firm bed which actually turned out to be excellent for my back, Hermes soap and products in the bathroom. The small bar is very nice and looks out on piazza della Reppublica - great for people watching - and you are right round the corner from Michelangelo's David and everything else. The hotel restaurant is pricey and just OK, but was fine for our first night as we'd just arrived. Breakfast is expansive and expensive.

None of these restaurants had a dress code as far as we could tell. We wore blazers and were among the better dressed. Ladies would not need to get dressed up. Of course, even when casually dressed, most Italians look pretty stylish!

4. comrade

comrade Senior member

Same question for you guys. Am I missing something or have the wrong addresses?

Arturo & Co.
    Via Porta Rossa, 50r

Simone Abbarchi
    B.go SS. Apostoli, 16

Eredi Chiarini
    Via Roma 16r

Leonardo Bugelli
    Via Fra' Bartolomeo, 21r

Liverano & Liverano
    Via dei Fossi, 43r

Milord
    P.zza Strozzi, 12/13r

Principe
    Via del Sole, 2

Tie your Tie
    Via dei Federighi, 7r

Roberto Ugolini
    Via dei Michelozzi, 17r

Hidetaka Fukaya
    Via de' Federighi, 6r

Saskia Wittmer
    Via S. Lucia, 24r

Stefano Bemer
    B.go S. Frediano, 143r

Roberto Ugolini
    Via dei Michelozzi, 17r

Madova
    Via Guicciardini, 1r

Ceri Vintage
    Via dei Serragli, 26r

Need a beautiful briefcase?
    Go to Ottino. I have one over
    20 years old and the lock still works.

http://www.ottino.com/index.html

5. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Any other updates from folks? I'll be in Florence in a month.

6. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Shopping no, but you must, must, MUST go to Trattoria La Casalinga around the corner from Ugolini by Santo Spirito when you're there for lunch or dinner. It gets pretty crowded so lunch may be better, but regardless of the wait time it's worth it. Get the calf liver and some fresh veggies and thank me later. The most enjoyable place we went to this September. Down to earth, classic, soulful cooking. We loved it so much we went back two days later!

7. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks David, I will check it out.

Guys - any other suggestions? I leave tomorrow.

8. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

For eating, try Enoteca Coquinarius - Via del Oche 15r behind the Duomo. Would describe it as "modern Italian" and has a great vibe inside. Best to book ahead (goes for most reastaurants in Florence).

9. manicturncoat

manicturncoat Well-Known Member

The historic centre Florence is now becoming like Venice, the commerce caters almost exclusively to tourism. The first thing to suffer is the quality of the restaurants. Below are a few trattorias that Florentines still consider acceptable;
    Ruggero
    Fagioli
    La Vecchia Bettola
    Sostanza(Il Troia)
    Cammillo

10. mth

mth Well-Known Member

For dining, I'd recommend the following:

Sostanza -- try the butter chicken and artichoke omlette
    13 Gobbi -- the peperoncino pasta is very good
    Buca Mario -- don't remember what I had last time, but it was all good

As for shopping, I think you have most of the highlights. Looks like you've left out a few of the smaller tailors from the list (Seminara, Loris Vestrucci, Cisternino), but I think you know about those already. For RTW, maybe consider a visti to Happy Jack or Michele Negri. The latter is open on Sunday, which is a plus in that part of the world.

11. LilacCords

LilacCords Senior member

Il Pizzaiuolo does the best Pizza in town - Also the Buffalo Mozzarella is to die for.
    Firenze Via De'Macci 113/r tel. 055 241171 - opens at 19:30 and fills up fast well worth making a reservation

12. andreyb2

andreyb2 Senior member

Two more eateries: Trattoria 13 Gobbi (http://www.casatrattoria.com/ristoranti.asp?id=2) -- recommended by both Alberto Merola and Leonardo Bugelli. When we visited it for a dinner, it was *very* crowded. Trattoria Armando (http://www.trattoria-armando.com/) -- I liked it very much. Less noisy than Gobbi. Close to the opera, so walls plastered with photos of opera singers who been there. Another of Bugelli's recommendations. Andrey

13. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Nerbone at the Mercato Centrale
    Sostanza if just for the butter chicken
    Teatro del Salle for the fun

14. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

when are the sales in florence? What is open during August?

15. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

OK, I went to Sostanza with mth once, the portions are waaaay too much, which makes the last ten bites not very pleasant...

G

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had some of the best gelatto ever in Florence.

17. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

During the Pitti Sostanza is the fascist HQ, full of Krauts and Nips.
    And +1 on the carciofi Omelette

A very reduced fish menu and pretty modern cusine at Baca Rossa, I like.
    Best sweets at the bakery next to the mbt, but obviously I wont tell you where that is.

18. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

I had some of the best gelatto ever in Florence.

Vivoli, the rice or the pistachio. Yum.

19. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

any updates to this list? will be in florence end of august.

20. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

any updates to this list? will be in florence end of august.

In August half of Italy is on stand by [​IMG].
    Trattoria Pandemonio is still very nice IMHO (Via del Leone 50) and the Osteria San Niccolo (Via San Niccolo 60) for pretty traditional Tuscan food.
    Both are south of the Arno and especially the one in San Niccolo seems to be off the toruist roads (though Pandemonio is probably what you are looking for).
    Also Enoteca Le volpi e l'uva near Ponte Vecchio is pretty nice (even Roberto Ugolini recommended it) and has a selection very interesting, but many not too well known wines.