• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Floppy laces: what up?

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've noticed that even some of the guys who got it locked down on the WAYWT thread (GS - I see you playa) rock the big, floopy loops on the laces of a lot of their sneakers, especially Purcells, Chucks, and related. I personally think this kills an otherwise well-assembled look; obviously some people who know what's up disagree, so I'll throw this one to the forum.

For my part, I'm a bigger fan of the Chuck slip-ons (the non-Varvatos ones; JV is dope, but I ain't paying $100 for Chucks) and solid-colored Vans, which I realize are a different story. Still, for regular low-cut Chucks and other types of sneakers, I usually pull tight, double-knot, or buy shorter laces 'cuz I hates the in-your-face loops. A small matter, but anyway...thoughts?

Bungee Man

Reaction score
I bought some Varvatos Chucks, and the loops are huge. Even with a double knot. I won't wear them now. I don't like it.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I hear ya...and I agree that floppy laces look like ****. when I'm wearing Converse type sneakers it's usually a 'dont give a ****' feeling day so I don't think about it. But yea, shorter laces would look better. I have some adidas that have long laces and those I always double tie so they dont flop

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bungee - I meant the JV slip-ons, but good to know the laced ones aren't worth the cash either.

GS - wasn't my intention to call you out, although I guess that's what I did. It was more out of curiosity than trying to flag you for a foul; I can't say I disagree with whoever it was who named you consistently slickest on WAYWT. Just curious as to whether you and the rest flopped like Portuguese footballers on principle - you ain't gotta justify nothin' to a WAYWT virgin like me.

Edit: But thanks for backing me up that floppy is wack; anyone vehemently disagree?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I can see guys who have a more casual laidback style (ie: LAGuy) preferring to have floppy laces since that flows more with their aesthetic (low slung jeans, hoodies etc)...but I could be wrong and they might hate floppies just as much

Reaction score
i dislike floppy for more reasons of (in)utility than an aesthetic objection: i hate to drag laces on the ground. i prefer high tops to low, but i cannot bring myself to lace up the top two (or so) eyelets, resulting in flop. i do my best to shorten 'em up by loosening the lacing, lace trickery and double-knotting, but it requires some doing. at some point, you just gotta get out the door, flop or not.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
i dislike floppy for more reasons of (in)utility than an aesthetic objection: i hate to drag laces on the ground. i prefer high tops to low, but i cannot bring myself to lace up the top two (or so) eyelets, resulting in flop. i do my best to shorten 'em up by loosening the lacing, lace trickery and double-knotting, but it requires some doing. at some point, you just gotta get out the door, flop or not.

True; I am perpetually late, opposite of morning person, etc.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
seriously.... fess up man... are you me or not?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads