Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Flip Flops, Flip-Flops, Flipflops: All Lousy in Most Settings

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lafont, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Just thought I'd snap a photo of my 40-year-old feet as I enjoy this thread...

[​IMG]

2. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

For the record, we're talking about flip-flops, not sandals. There's a world of difference!

There is no difference to me. Sandals and flip flops should only be worn by children and women with pretty feet. I detest being forced to view old diabetic feet and ugly crooked toes every time I venture outside the house.

3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

There is no difference to me. Sandals and flip flops should only be worn by children and women with pretty feet. I detest being forced to view old diabetic feet and ugly crooked toes every time I venture outside the house.

Quoted for the Damned Truth
    [​IMG]

4. FrankDrebben

FrankDrebben Active Member

First of all, I live in Orange County (The OC to the outside world) and everyone lives in flip flops here. There is a local San Clemente company called Rainbow Sandals (http://www.rainbowsandals.com) who makes leather flip flops that are the standard choice. They are extremely comfortable and have a lifetime guarantee. I have three pairs, on one of them, I was literally standing on a steep incline moving a very heavy log in them and the strap broke off. I sent them to the factory and they re-glued the strap. I have been wearing them 4 years since with not a problem.

I see people in sandals and it looks ridiculous. I see midwesterners in crocs and tevas and I don't need to say anything more about that.

My one tip is that the double arch are even more comfortable than then standard ones.

Here are the three pairs I own:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Screw it, nothing wrong with flip flops.

6. Spilotro

Spilotro Senior member

I never wear flip flops, or shorts for that matter (unless it's a necessity of course, such as the pool). Why? It's a personal choice for me. I feel that I look better in pants, and even though it gets quite hot and humid in the summer where I live, it's not as if I'm orbiting Venus out here...

Flip flops, to me, are gross. Call me shallow, but girls wearing them is a bit of a turnoff for me too.

7. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

I think the OP has vastly overbroadened the context in which flip flops should be worn.

8. redmania

redmania Senior member

I never wear flip flops, or shorts for that matter (unless it's a necessity of course, such as the pool). Why? It's a personal choice for me. I feel that I look better in pants, and even though it gets quite hot and humid in the summer where I live, it's not as if I'm orbiting Venus out here...

Flip flops, to me, are gross. Call me shallow, but girls wearing them is a bit of a turnoff for me too.

Don't ever come to australia then everyone wears them in summer.

Personally I like them particularly when it is over 90F.

What is it with Americans and white sneakers with white socks on your vacation!!!!

9. Odd Morsel

Odd Morsel Senior member

I had a buddy who never wore shorts. Knew the guy for years, and he wouldn't even wear them to the beach parties. We'd take the group to the sand, play football, v-ball, whatever, and he would wear jeans and just kick back on a blanket the whole trip. We stopped inviting him [​IMG]

While I'm over wearing sandals or flip-flops with jeans thing, it still seems to go over fine with alot of folks out here in SoCal.

10. BrooklynHighpost

BrooklynHighpost Senior member

I dont see what the problem people have with flip-flops. MY feet and legs are pretty pale, so I wear lighter color flip-flops/sandals from Zara. I wear it to run errands, watch movies, grab something to eat, nothing wrong with that. If you need to do something for a short period of time, its better than grabbing socks, and wearing footwear. Less laundry to do in the summer too.

11. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

[​IMG]

He said women.

12. redmania

redmania Senior member

[​IMG]

God now I wouldn't sleep with her cos of her toe.[​IMG]

13. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

As the originator of this thread, I want to emphasize my differentiation between flipflops and sandals (almost always with leather, or at least a simulated leather, and reflecting some feeling toward design beyond that of the standard, simplistic flipflop). I think decent-looking sandals for guys (and certainly gals) are perfectly acceptible with any outfit that athletic shoes go with (other than true athletics, for which the proper athletic shoes should take precedence). Real sandals - preferably with real leather - go just fine in the mall etc. - particularly with shorts. Okay with socks, too, if a slightly more dressy or conservative image is sought. Can even racy, colorful socks. However a real sandal offers at least a hint of discretion; it says I don't feel my toes and most of the rest of my foot need to be totally exposed to the world.
    I'm thrilled with the extremely good-looking Born sandals I got on my Toronto trip - on sale at the Town Shoes on Bloor W. They're replacing a clunky pair of Bjorndals - one reason I had purchased years ago being I had assumed the company is at least related to Born. I like my new pair fair better than, for example, most (trendy!) Birkenstocks which tend to be quite dull in detailing.

14. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

15. manouche

manouche Senior member

If there is a polish on the toes, this could be sexy, even on a man