• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flight Costs in the New Year?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I was planning on a short flight this weekend -- $220 for out Friday, in Sunday. That quote was from Orbitz last night. I arranged some things, went to book, and it's $860 for the same flight. In fact, all the flights to my destination have jumped $2-600 for this month. I check with my firm's travel agent, who sees the same thing, yet nothing changed at the airport, and all the flights have a zillion seats still available. Some New Years thing? Or is the market for seats that variable? I don't understand.

~ H

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peak travel season for people going home from the holidays.

RVAduffer

Reaction score
maybe because you were trying to book on so little notice? the best fares usually require at least 10 days advance booking IIRC

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yah, sure, about the holiday peak but why wasn't that the case yesterday? Is there that much difference in advance notice between 3 and 4 days? I did that Hotwire 30 day search yesterday also, and the flights were high 200's to mid sixes, today it's all mid-400's through nearly a thousand for an hour and a half flight.

Might I be likely to get a better rate the day before?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The last few days before a flight are when the seat prices start to spike for real.

Seats may be getting bought up or (most of the time) it is the situation where airlines can price discriminate the most. Tickets bought on that short notice are usually the most inflexible customers who are willing to pay the most...

TowleY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Seriously, I was planning on a short flight this weekend -- $220 for out Friday, in Sunday. That quote was from Orbitz last night. I arranged some things, went to book, and it's $860 for the same flight. In fact, all the flights to my destination have jumped $2-600 for this month. I check with my firm's travel agent, who sees the same thing, yet nothing changed at the airport, and all the flights have a zillion seats still available. Some New Years thing? Or is the market for seats that variable? I don't understand.

~ H

Is it frmo this friday to sunday? If so thats why. As you get closer prices exponentially jump up, also your traveling around new years holiday season. Prices are crazy now. Plus ur traveling on Friday and sunday. Sunday is the most common return date, and weekends always cost more.

Edit:
Also where are you going?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I booked a flight leaving this Friday to days ago, round trip $170.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect that airfares will drop this year, not only because of the price of oil but also because fewer people are going to be spending discretionary income on flights. This week I managed to buy a round trip between Canada to Mexico in March for $430 USD. I'm waiting before booking another flight to France because I'm sure the rate will come down by another $100-200 between now and February.

Nevertheless, flying on short notice is almost always bad news, unless you really luck out and get a last-minute sale on a seat cancellation.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I suspect that airfares will drop this year, not only because of the price of oil but also because fewer people are going to be spending discretionary income on flights. This week I managed to buy a round trip between Canada to Mexico in March for $430 USD. I'm waiting before booking another flight to France because I'm sure the rate will come down by another $100-200 between now and February.

Nevertheless, flying on short notice is almost always bad news, unless you really luck out and get a last-minute sale on a seat cancellation.

They could cut prices if the number of passengers declines, but I think most of the airlines have moved to a model that favors reducing the number of flights to keep prices up and planes full.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TowleY
Is it frmo this friday to sunday? If so thats why. As you get closer prices exponentially jump up, also your traveling around new years holiday season. Prices are crazy now. Plus ur traveling on Friday and sunday. Sunday is the most common return date, and weekends always cost more. Edit: Also where are you going?
Yah, I get that, but all the flights for the entire month have jumped that amount -- even flights 30 days out. It was like an across the board jump. Well, I just pricelined a flight -- $350 with a car. Gets me in rather later than I wanted, but what're you gonna do. Hopefully, it won't get delayed. ~ H

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Yah, I get that, but all the flights for the entire month have jumped that amount -- even flights 30 days out. It was like an across the board jump.

~ H

yeah i know what you mean i dont get it either. i look at things 2 or 3 months down the road and sometimes the prices just without any reason just bump up twice its price for some reason. and they are no peak months either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads