Fleece vests over a dress shirt and tie???? WTF?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Quadcammer, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

This has got to be a north east thing. Seems that since the weather has been in the 60s and 70s, our friends who seemingly don't require a suit jacket have begun the yearly ritual of donning their dress shirts, ties, and north face/patagonia/etc fleece zip vests.

Who thought this disaster up and why? If you are chilly, why wouldn't you...I don't know...put the suit jacket/blazer/sportcoat on?

google doesn't have a good picture of this, but i assure you, its truly awful:

Its basically this+ tie:

[​IMG]

2. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

Hahaha....I have nothing to add other than Iiterally just had this conversation with my friends about 20 minutes ago.

3. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I like the thin quilted mid-layer under the jacket thing which seems to have become more common recently, but this is dreadful. I have a Patagonia fleece vest but I only ever wear it with casual shirts, jeans etc. I would never even have thought about wearing it with a tie. It does makes sense to keep your core warm above all else, however I have wool vests, and various waistcoats which are cut for this purpose and which are designed to be worn with a coat and tie.

4. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

i saw that all the time where i grew up. even as a kid i knew that looked absolutely awful.

And i do agree those LP quilted vests look pretty cool if you have teh steeze for it.

5. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

A guy on another style forum once posted this... needless to say we had a good laugh:

tie+ fleece vest on shorts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

It's a prep/frat thing. Wearing sweaters/vests/sweatshirts with shorts is a common thing in college for spring classes where it's 40 in the morning and 70 in the afternoon. Throw on the vest for the morning and jettison it later in the day. That being said, if you're wearing a dress shirt and tie with this getup you're going to look dumb. Ideally it's an OCBD.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  7. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

wouldn't putting on some bloody pants with a light sweater solve this problem without the goofy vest?

8. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

in my opinion there's a huge difference between fleece and down vests. I have this light ultra down vest from Bogner and I wear it in autumn over a sweater/cardigan and in spring over a shirt. it serves the purpose of keeping me warm without making me look like the michelin man since it's rather thin:

[​IMG]

(ignore the first pics, it was a debate on with which shirt to go, ocbd or poplin.

[​IMG]

backside

shorts and tie would never cross my mind though... fleece vests remind me too much of hiking or mountain climbing trips.

9. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

yeah, the point is not that fleece or down vests cannot look good under certain circumstances, but rather that they look utterly ridiculous with a dress shirt and tie.

10. romafan

romafan Senior member

We just got back from Rome and you saw a lot of guys wearing a thin down vest (gillet?) over their suits. Put on shorts, though, and you are headed down the mr. moo path....

11. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

I've also seen people wearing their ultra down vest underneath a blazer:

[​IMG]

tried it once, the result was major blazer deformation, so I suggest avoiding it unless you have blazer one size too big.

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

if he would ditch the stupid vest, that would be a nice outfit

13. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Can't take the sweater off as easily. I'm not saying it looks good but there is a logic behind it.

14. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

The fleece vest is the new blue blazer.