• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fleece over tie and shirt for work reasons

kaizo

Reaction score
I generally wear suits to work but on occasions where multiple organisations are involved I wear a company fleece over my shirt and tie so my affiliation is apparent.

May I have your take on:
- Fleece tucked in or out (I normally tuck my cashmere turtle neck in).
- Doing the zip up to the top or not to show the tie.
- Any other suggestions.

I know sartorially this isn't what this forum prefers, it's just a matter of when I have to and wondered what the general take is.

Thank you very much, please let me know and I wish you all a lovely day.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Sorry, why do you wear a fleece? I don't understand.

kaizo

Reaction score
Sorry, why do you wear a fleece? I don't understand.
Sorry I probably should have phrased it better.

The fleece has the company logo on so when people from different companies meet people can tell which affiliations we have.

So if 4 company reps meet then we all wear a fleece/polo with our respective logos on so it's easier to identify which company we are from.

Not quite a uniform as we don't wear it all the time but just for these specific occasions.

Under the fleece is suit trousers, shirt and tie. We ditch the jacket and I was wondering what is sartorially the best way of wearing the fleece as it's not a traditional piece to wear with a suit.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any other corporate signifier, like a badge?
The fleece looks "dorky" in the extreme.
Like something a character from "The Office"
might wear.

kaizo

Reaction score
Any other corporate signifier, like a badge?
The fleece looks "dorky" in the extreme.
Like something a character from "The Office"
might wear.
I'm afraid it's a fleece and a polo only for now since it's company issued.

Badge like you said would be a great idea though.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Ah, OK. It's like a uniform.
@nmprisons has it right, IMO: no tuck, unzip enough to show the tie, if you're wearing one.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tumblr_lss27mq2br1qmhzqdo1_500.png

I think this is the kind of look you would be going for? At least that is what I am guessing.

Show the tie, show the shirt, don't tuck the sweater/fleece, wear a jacket (if it is such as you can wear a jacket over it).

kaizo

Reaction score
tumblr_lss27mq2br1qmhzqdo1_500.png

I think this is the kind of look you would be going for? At least that is what I am guessing.

Show the tie, show the shirt, don't tuck the sweater/fleece, wear a jacket (if it is such as you can wear a jacket over it).
Yup, Ryan Reynolds is doing an amazing job of it.

I won't be able to wear a jacket over it because that would cover up the logo but I think untucked and show shirt and tie like everyone says is exactly what I am going to do.

Thank you everyone!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would badger my HR department to make me one of those laminated clip-on badges with the company logo rather than wear a fleece. If they tried to force me I would protest on medical grounds and claim that I’m allergic to anything made from polyester / reconstituted water bottles / whatever from being anywhere near my skin.

Mirage-

Reaction score
I would almost consider asking the company to come up with a company tie rather than force me to wear a company fleece so I can wear my jacket in piece.
I mean, colleges have affiliation ties (or so I hear, we don't do that here), so why can't businesses. But I guess a random observer would only know that these people work together but probably not recognize the company from the pattern, unless they literally print the logo on the ties.

kaizo

Reaction score
Yeah I would love to have a tie but I think most work places are moving away from it.

Back in my father's days it was almost important to see people in suits without a tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads