• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Flax/Linen Sport Coats

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't seem to be well liked or sought after. Do people just not like the wrinkling issue? The feel? Or do most of you not live in somewhat warm weather areas?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People just have no idea. They think that anything other than a nearly black gray or navy is inappropriate for work, and unfortunately, some of those people are in a position to make that true. In any case, the social pressure is powerful. When people actually wore suits on a daily basis, people knew about fabrics and options available. One would see congressmen and senators wearing linen and seersucker during the summer. Some still do:
But now, people are afraid that anything other than dark wool will be inappropriate in more formal settings. And if it's not a formal setting, they're not wearing a suit.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cptjeff i think you have explained well some views of a large cohort.

but i would say there is an even larger cohort that is completely unversed in formality and doesn't notice anything about clothes beyond like or dislike.

the thing is, though, that people who fit into these cohorts don't dictate fashion. look at suit makers (even jos a bank or whatever) and they still offer many different fabrics and styles.

also flax wrinkles the instant it's put on.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of flax/cotton pants and they hold up remarkably well against wrinkles. I am thinking it is the linen component of flax/linen that leads to excessive wrinkling (I also have a linen/cotton sportscoat and after 5 minutes of wear it's got more wrinkles than Dame Elisabeth Murdoch).

Montauk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
I am thinking it is the linen component of flax/linen that leads to excessive wrinkling.

Flax IS linen. Same thing. Guaranteed to wrinkle. Indispensable in summer.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love them, wear them...pants, SCs, suits, shirts.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then again...

'Textiles in a linen-weave texture, even when made of cotton, hemp and other non-flax fibers are also loosely referred to as "linen".'

So perhaps sloppy labelling of "linen" on some garments might explain my observations...

But I have learnt something today.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
working in downtown los angeles, i'd be stewed without linen (or flax).

Montauk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Then again...

'Textiles in a linen-weave texture, even when made of cotton, hemp and other non-flax fibers are also loosely referred to as "linen".'

So perhaps sloppy labelling of "linen" on some garments might explain my observations...

But I have learnt something today.

That definition is referring to a broad and somethat anachronistic usage of "linen" which would encompass bed-linens, table-linens, and the "linen" one shows at the cuff.

As far as actual material content in clothing, a linen or flax label always refers to the (linen) fiber which comes from the flax seed.

Don't worry about credibility here. Good sportsmanship will take you much further ;-)

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll do the seersucker thing, but linen is beyond my abilities.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My summer wardrobe, in terms of jacketing and suit is all Lesser Superfine Tropicals, and JJ Minnis Fresco...the backkkkkk of the book.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.