• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flaws in tailored shirt... Is this normal?

Reaction score
I recently brought a shirt to the tailor for the first time, and wasn't quite sure what to expect. When I received it, I was surprised to notice what seemed to be defects in the fabric (which definitely wasn't there before). Here are some pictures:

Is this to be expected, or is this bad tailoring?

Also, the tailor didn't take my exact measurements and just put on some pins while I stood in the mirror wearing the shirt until it looked like how I wanted. Is this how it should have been? The shirt turned out still much baggier than I wanted, so needless to say, I wasn't too pleased.

Thanks for the info, and hopefully I will be more informed when getting shirts tailored in the future! Wish I had read up on SF before spending $20 tailoring a (fortunately, cheap Land's End) shirt that I'll never end up wearing...

Millerp

Reaction score
Pinning the shirt while you are wearing it is the correct way for the tailor to determine the fit you want.

If he did not follow the pinning you approved when he tapered the shirt, then yes it's his fault that the shirt did not turn out the way you wanted.

Not clear what you mean by defects in the fabric. If you mean the seams don't line up or aren't straight, that's not all that unusual in an altered shirt, but it really depends on the skill and experience of the tailor. A good
tailor wouldn't let that happen. Most tailors or alterationists aren't shirtmakers. Unfortunately, there aren't many shirtmakers left.

If you don't think the tailor tapered the shirt according to the pinning, you could certainly take the shirt back to the tailor.

In the future it would probably be best to try the altered shirt on in the shop before taking it home. Most reputable tailors will readjust work the customer is not happy with.

Last edited:

HughJ

Reaction score
I've had some low end oxfords altered and they did not exhibit these issues. Looks like poor work to me. Nothing out of the ordinary with regards to pinning though - it is standard practice. I can only imagine how this would have gone if he relied on measurements.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it really worth throwing money at low end shirts? You would be better to get fewer better ones.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah I tried to tailor a LE shirt to see if the tailor was any good before throwing money at my higher end shirts. Thanks for the help everyone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads