1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

flat or not...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by slimjohnson, Oct 28, 2004.

1. slimjohnson

slimjohnson Member

Question: I have bought a couple flat-front suits lately and I can't tell whether or not to have the pants pressed sideways with a pleat down the front of the leg (like pleated pants would have) or to have them pressed completely flat so no pressing pleat is noticeable at all. In there any conventional wisdom regarding this?

So, thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Tom

Tom Senior Member

I prefer an obvious saggital crease along the legs.
    -Tom

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

I personally tink that it depends upon the jacket. A crease often times is necessary for the pants and jacket to create a smooth, seamless transition. If the jacket skirt is shorter and slimmer, then I say go with no crease (mainly because flat front pants tend not to hold them well).

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Tailored pants will have the crease permanently put in them. I don't know if they still use the clapper to do it (a big hinged wooden thing that smacks down the crease and flattens the fibres permanently) but regardless the creases are set in there where they are supposed to be. So have the pants pressed like they came.

If you are asking whether to have the front crease pressed all the way up to the beltline, that's another question. But if they came with no creases, they should remain that way. Don't let your dry cleaner decide for you, like mine did once. I spent a while getting those creases back out of a pair of flat front non creased pants and I didn't go back to that cleaner.

5. slimjohnson

slimjohnson Member

6. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Distinguished Member

My armani suit pants has no pleats. it has no crease. the legs are just plain cylinder and looks soo darn cool.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

If they came with a crease down the center, get them pressed with a crease down the center, if they did not have a crease down the center, get them pressed so that they do not have a crease. Just go with whatever the original designer intended.