1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Flat fronts with cuffs?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spectre, Feb 8, 2008.

1. spectre

spectre Distinguished Member

The last thing I want to do is start a new cuff thread, but this is just a simple question.

I'm wondering how many of you like the flat front with cuff look.

I know Matt is a great proponent of this and I'm coming around to the idea, especially with odd pants and a jacket.

(Don't like this look with chinos so much but I think it's mandatory they be flat front)

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I love it with heavier fabrics (tweed & flannel) and with chinos. not so much with lighter weight worsteds

4. jsherman02

jsherman02 Senior Member

I love it with heavier fabrics (tweed & flannel) and with chinos. not so much with lighter weight worsteds

+1

5. sweisman

sweisman Senior Member

Love the look. Just did it for the first time on some flannels and it looks great.

6. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Distinguished Member

I don't understand the relationship between flat fronts and cuffs? If you like cuffs, does it matter if they be flat front or with pleats?

But if you want my opinion, I don't see anything wrong with it. Just thought the question is odd as to why it matters that it be flat fronted pants.

7. andyw

andyw Senior Member

I don't understand the relationship between flat fronts and cuffs? If you like cuffs, does it matter if they be flat front or with pleats?

But if you want my opinion, I don't see anything wrong with it. Just thought the question is odd as to why it matters that it be flat fronted pants.

+1

8. Teacher

Teacher Stylish Dinosaur

I don't really care for it. To me, it has an unbalanced look to it.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I don't understand the relationship between flat fronts and cuffs? If you like cuffs, does it matter if they be flat front or with pleats? But if you want my opinion, I don't see anything wrong with it. Just thought the question is odd as to why it matters that it be flat fronted pants.
    +1. It has never made sense to me and seems like an artificial way to make up a rule. I say you should just do as you like.

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Same here, for the most part. Sleek suits and trousers I leave uncuffed.

11. Francisco D'Anconia

Francisco D'Anconia Senior Member

Just did it on three pair of moleskin trousers. I'm pleased.

12. spectre

I only asked because it seems pleats and cuffs raises no eyebrows at all, while I believe flat fronts and cuffs are seen less. I'm just wondering if you think they look just as nice, that's all.

13. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

My flat fronts made from heavier material or those that have fuller cut legs all have cuffs. I think pants without cuffs look best when the pant or suit is trim cut.

The one exception is a trim cut pair of flat front off white cotton pants from Cucinelli. I roll a cuff for a casual look. They show it in their look books. Its fun.

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I have had it done on corduroy trousers. It looks great. I would agree with the previous posters that on lighter fabrics it would not be as good.

15. spectre

The question was not whether it mattered - it was whether people like it or not.