• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flat fronts or pleats

A.ONE.

Reaction score
I was just wondering which style was better for dress pants, flat fronts or pleats. Are flat fronts more stylish? Casual? When is the best time to wear them (flat fronts/pleats)? What do you think about flat front suit pants?

pstoller

Reaction score
Flat-front pants are more in vogue at the moment. However, what's in vogue will not always be what's most flattering for every body type or most appropriate for every occasion. I wear both. Whether the pants are more casual or formal depends more on the material and overall cut than on the mere presence or absence of pleats.

Abe2

Reaction score
An old debate. Flat-fronts and uncuffed leg bottoms seem to have established themselves as acceptable in the formal world. Here's my take: pleats and cuffs are the classic look, and acceptable anywhere and on any suit. Flat front and cuffless trousers, though trendy contemporary now, look worse on overweight people than pleats. And they may not be as acceptable everywhere. I'm young (21) and can get away with wearing flat-front pants, but in some circles, it may be frowned upon. If I had to have only one pair of trousers, I'd go with cuffs and pleats.

JohnboyGQ

Reaction score
Pleats are out right now. Although still acceptable, flat front will make any "ensemble" look more cutting edge. However, if you are wearing a suit, I would probably still recommend pleats. But keep it to a minimum. Nothing looks quite as a ridiculous with a ton of pleats at his waist. Especially if he is overweight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads