1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Flat fronts or pleats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A.ONE., Jun 1, 2002.

1. A.ONE.

A.ONE. Member

I was just wondering which style was better for dress pants, flat fronts or pleats. Are flat fronts more stylish? Casual? When is the best time to wear them (flat fronts/pleats)? What do you think about flat front suit pants?

2. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

Flat-front pants are more in vogue at the moment. However, what's in vogue will not always be what's most flattering for every body type or most appropriate for every occasion. I wear both. Whether the pants are more casual or formal depends more on the material and overall cut than on the mere presence or absence of pleats.

3. Abe2

Abe2 Well-Known Member

An old debate. Flat-fronts and uncuffed leg bottoms seem to have established themselves as acceptable in the formal world. Here's my take: pleats and cuffs are the classic look, and acceptable anywhere and on any suit. Flat front and cuffless trousers, though trendy contemporary now, look worse on overweight people than pleats. And they may not be as acceptable everywhere. I'm young (21) and can get away with wearing flat-front pants, but in some circles, it may be frowned upon. If I had to have only one pair of trousers, I'd go with cuffs and pleats.

4. A.ONE.

A.ONE. Member

5. JohnboyGQ

JohnboyGQ New Member

Pleats are out right now. Although still acceptable, flat front will make any "ensemble" look more cutting edge. However, if you are wearing a suit, I would probably still recommend pleats. But keep it to a minimum. Nothing looks quite as a ridiculous with a ton of pleats at his waist. Especially if he is overweight.