• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flat-front vs. single pleats vs. double pleats on dress pants?

Interface

Reaction score
Greetings.

What are your thoughts on flat-fronts vs. single pleats vs. double pleats on dress pants?

Here, single pleats means one pleat on each side; and double pleats means having two pleats on each side (two of the pleats having a bit less "height" and being in between the "higher" pleats and the pockets).

Personally I love pleats. And I like double pleats more than single pleats just by the looks, even though I currently only have single-pleated pants. My plan is to buy myself double-pleated pants sooner than later.

For dress pants I just don't like flat-fronts. Well, I don't mind other people wearing them, but when wearing flat-fronts myself I always feel like there is something missing there. For some reasons I have always found pleated pants to be more comfortable.

Again, I'm only talking about dress pants here. Not "casuals."

Share your thoughts please.

Regards,
Interface.

brn2drive

Reaction score
I prefer to wear non-pleated pants for both suit pants and regular dress pants. I don't mind the one pleat because it adds a nice shape to the pants but pleats are just not for me.

I think they're outdated but then again it depends on who you are, I'm in my mid 20's and feel out of style with 2-pleat pants.

yo!

Reaction score
Good luck with this one... if anyone on this website admits to wearing non flat front pants they risk being disbarred of all SF privileges.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yo!
Good luck with this one... if anyone on this website admits to wearing non flat front pants they risk being disbarred of all SF privileges.

It would be easier to ban the noobs who make sweeping stupid statements though.

aleeboy

Reaction score
I wear pleated khakis for a more casual look. Oh yeah... in my opinion, pleated pants look better on guys with a bigger build.

englanderjk

Reaction score
Like the flats but they don't work for everyone. Even with the proper symmetry/proportions you still have to watch out for pocket flairing. I do prefer them over pleats but one should have balance here as in all aspect of dress.

(Renaissance...Savoir Faire Style)

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red

A few flat-front suit trousers I had years ago squeezed my equipment and gave me a distinctly unflattering dickless look.

laugh.gif
Very well put... disturbing images

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer flat fronts...90% of my pants are FF. I have a few that are single pleats. I found in the past that if I wear pleated pands, especially double, my crotch area would balloon up when I sit down and I couldnt stand it. I think this was b/c I tend to wear my pants a little on the low side, a couple inches under my belly button.

Originally Posted by aleeboy
I wear pleated khakis for a more casual look. Oh yeah... in my opinion, pleated pants look better on guys with a bigger build.

IMHO I think the opposite is true. I think they look better on tall slimmer guys who wear their pants high. There is no ballooning of the pleats and they drape very well.

I think they look the worst on people who have a bit of a belly and cant wear their pants higher ont he waist...because the stomach pushes the front waist of the pants down, there is a bunching of the pleats that draws even more attention to their stomachs.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin

IMHO I think the opposite is true. I think they look better on tall slimmer guys who wear their pants high. There is no ballooning of the pleats and they drape very well.

I think they look the worst on people who have a bit of a belly and cant wear their pants higher ont he waist...because the stomach pushes the front waist of the pants down, there is a bunching of the pleats that draws even more attention to their stomachs.

When I see skinny guys wearing pleated pants, it just looks so wrong. Especially the ones with narrow shoulders and of a small frame (doesn't mean they're short). Kind of looks like a pole with a tyre around the waist, if you get what I mean.

When I mentioned bigger build, I'm talking about guys with fuller thighs, butts, and upper body to balance the build-up of material that pleats create.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy
When I see skinny guys wearing pleated pants, it just looks so wrong. Especially the ones with narrow shoulders and of a small frame (doesn't mean they're short). Kind of looks like a pole with a tyre around the waist, if you get what I mean.

When I mentioned bigger build, I'm talking about guys with fuller thighs, butts, and upper body to balance the build-up of material that pleats create.

I know what you mean...but the tire effect I think occurs when the pants sit low on the waist. And this bunching effect doesnt look good whether you are skinny, fat, bigger build, etc...

Happydayz

Reaction score
the ballooning effect need not happen with double pleated pants. I've seen this happen on a pair I own so it's not just my body type that is immune. But I do have a Hickey Freeman madison-cut suit with double pleats and it looks fine when I sit.

I think this goes back to individual fit - not all double pleats are bad, not all flat fronts look slimming.

Nashville

Reaction score
I wear them both, but in my future purchases im buying all flat fronts, I have enough pleats

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I am down to 2 pairs of pleated (single pleat) pants. All types have there place, but I wear 90% FF. The problem with many pleated pants is they are too full, but I have no problem with pleated pants witha slimmer cut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics