• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flat front vs pleats, what if your opinion?

Reaction score
I'll preface this with saying that I'm new to this style thing, but my hatred for pleated pants is pretty intense and well-established.

I see what looks like a well-dressed dude waling around, and when I notice the pleated pants, it destroys the whole outfit.

Am I being unreasonable, or is this a universally accepted/shared opinion?

To clarify, here's the difference. In this case I don't like the fit of the flat front pamts but they are at least ok, versus ultrasloppy.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 65535
I'll preface this with saying that I'm new to this style thing, but my hatred for pleated pants is pretty intense and well-established.

I see what looks like a well-dressed dude waling around, and when I notice the pleated pants, it destroys the whole outfit.

Am I being unreasonable, or is this a universally accepted/shared opinion?

To clarify, here's the difference. In this case I don't like the fit of the flat front pamts but they are at least ok, versus ultrasloppy.

I find that pleats on large waisted men look better than the flats. If you have a small waist I think the pleats look funny and baggy.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just depends. I would not wear pleats on cotton pants like that but have both pleated and flat front dress/suit slacks.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pleats are useful to give more mobility to your pants.

In slim and fit men, there is no need for pleats. you can wear with or without according to your liking.

For older men, or overweight, the flat fronts could be very uncomfortable to sit or bend over.

That is it. is a matter or engineering.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it depends: do the pants go with a suit or are they odd? what style is the silhouette, the jacket? what material? what's your body type? I don't think either one is inherently bad or good. but both can be bad or good. In fact, both of the reference photos look pretty bad, imo.

I prefer flat fronts mostly, but I also think single reverse pleats look great, esp with a fancier suiting.

noVA99

Reaction score
pleats on suit trousers (double or single) are fine for tall slim guys, in my opinion. I prefer single over double but a lot of high end suits come with double so I suck it up and move on. Everything else I do the flat front style, especially with casual pants( chinos, linen, etc.)

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this style thing
my hatred for pleated pants is pretty intense

Yes, this appears to be common among neophytes.
wink.gif

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most men I see wearing pleats (except on a suit where they are covered by the jacket and make more sense) look bad. Of course the rest of their outfits often reinforce this impression. Baggy ill fitted shirts, poorly ironed, no collar stays, brick phone fastened to waistband. Maybe even a white sock or two peeking out under the cuffs. You know the type.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The vast majority of pleated trousers out there are awful but it's really for the same reasons the vast majority of trousers are awful, which is poor fit. It's just when you have those crazy pleats with no crease ballooning and bagging it up MC Hammer style, you can't help but feel slightly revolted.

I had a suit made up slightly looser than normal with single pleats just to see how I would like them. I found a well fitted pleated trouser is fine and quite conducive to old-man-slouch pocket-shoving. In the summer it's nice to wear something a little looser too.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like forward pleats. Unfortunately, they're rather difficult to find here in the US.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
Pleats are useful to give more mobility to your pants.

In slim and fit men, there is no need for pleats. you can wear with or without according to your liking.

For older men, or overweight, the flat fronts could be very uncomfortable to sit or bend over.

That is it. is a matter or engineering.

+1000. Thats the final word on pleats IMO.

Regards.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
I find that pleats on large waisted men look better than the flats. If you have a small waist I think the pleats look funny and baggy.
I agree.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pleats on everything but jeans and linen pants for summer.

manofstyle

Reaction score
Forward pleats are in a different league to reverse pleats. Reverse pleats almost always look disgusting.

Forward pleats & flat front are both fine with me, I'm slim (30 waist). Flat front can look sleeker and simpler, whereas forward pleats can look sharp and "dressy".

Each to his own! I have both for variation. If we're talking about well cut trousers, forward pleat vs flat front should not be a big issue at all, both will look good.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seems like pleated is the default, and flat front is the upgrade, when it should be the other way around.

example, those costco fancy pants. I would buy a ton of those if they didn't have triple pleats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads