• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flat-front trousers -- finding them

SFclassic

Reaction score
Seems like every style maven I read dismisses the very idea of pleated trousers, yet they're practically all I can find in the stores -- at least the stores I usually shop in.

Granted, there's some hyperbole in that sentence, but pleats far outnumber flat-front, especially in dressier trousers.

Ran into a Brooks outlet last week, thinking I would quickly pick up a pair of flat-front wool trousers like I found there last year and that wear so well.  Not a single pair of flat-front trousers in the entire store.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classic,

Finding flat front WOOL trousers is considerably more difficult than searching for their pleasted counterparts.  My humble advice is to avoid traditional esstablishments like Brooths Brothers, J Press, etc. and opt for trendier and more fashion oriented stores (e.g. designers). I know that Incotex and Mabitex both make flat front trousers, but distribution points are limited and prices might be a concern.

Most designers offer a selection of flat fronts--I recently bought two pairs of flat fronts from Donna Karan and another from Hugo Boss Baldesarini.  For slimmer cuts, Prada and Paul Smith might work.  Prada is more hit or miss than P.S. since her fabrics tend to be more adventuresome and the thighs are always cut for emaciated people like myself.

Good luck, quality flat fronts are tough to find...

regularjoe

Reaction score
Actually, I thought J Press offers flat front trousers -only-.

Disclaimer: second hand info that I thought I read on this board or AskAndy.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classic,

Finding flat front WOOL trousers is considerably more difficult than searching for their pleasted counterparts.  My humble advice is to avoid traditional esstablishments like Brooths Brothers, J Press, etc. and opt for trendier and more fashion oriented stores (e.g. designers). I know that Incotex and Mabitex both make flat front trousers, but distribution points are limited and prices might be a concern.

Most designers offer a selection of flat fronts--I recently bought two pairs of flat fronts from Donna Karan and another from Hugo Boss Baldesarini.  For slimmer cuts, Prada and Paul Smith might work.  Prada is more hit or miss than P.S. since her fabrics tend to be more adventuresome and the thighs are always cut for emaciated people like myself.

Good luck, quality flat fronts are tough to find...
Actually, all you'll find in Press, I imagine, will be flat-front. Also try Andover or Ben Silver or any trad. men's shop. They should have them.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jos. A. Bank has a pretty wide selection of flat front trousers. Construction quality is roughly on a par with something like Banana Republic, but with nicer fabrics and a much wider range of colors. I have a pair of their wool/cashmere blend flat fronts that are actually pretty good.

It goes without saying that you don't ever want to pay full retail for the stuff at Bank.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics