• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flat front/slim trousers for thinner waist, bigger hips

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been trying out a bunch of flat front slim cut trousers but haven't found any that fit my hips yet. They all cause the pockets to flare out. Anyone know some brands that might be better for me? If I can't find any I guess I'll have to have them made. What's that gonna run me?

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bespoke can cost anywhere from $250 (low end) -$700 (Ambrosi Salvatore) or more for a pair of slacks. MTM can vary $170-$200 and up. Have you tried the usual, Howard Yount and Mabitex and then take them to the tailor? A tailor should be able to fix the flare problem.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm having the same issues
it's a pain ********** ... literally

your best bet might be to just buy pants that fit in the waist and legs and then have the seat of the pants let out a bit

Matt S

Reaction score
You need to size up until you get a proper fit in the hips and then take in the waist. However, the legs will also get bigger when you size up. Depending on the brand it may not be too much.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking in the waist is a simple alteration. Your dry cleaner can do it.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
DONT YOU GUYS LISTEN?

this has been said here many times, and i quote.

forget the trousers waist size number.
pick the trouser only for the hip/seat fit.
the waist on any decent trouser can be adjusted
smaller or larger as needed.
its just that simple.

now that you know the right way.
dont keep making the same mistake and expect different results.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
DONT YOU GUYS LISTEN?

its just that simple.

Good advice, will heed in shopping efforts.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try looking for on seam pockets as well.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
DONT YOU GUYS LISTEN?

its just that simple.

This is the best advice for finding properly fitting trousers. The problem is that suits usually come with a drop 6, and many suits can't accommodate my larger seat. Suit trousers can never be let out enough in the seat for me.

AB01

Reaction score
I only like to wear pants with pockets in the front because of this issue. Life is easier now.

I'll wear the side pockets with suits though since the jacket covers them, but it's front 5-pocket pants for me otherwise.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
You need to size up until you get a proper fit in the hips and then take in the waist. However, the legs will also get bigger when you size up. Depending on the brand it may not be too much.

This.

+1

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have this problem, too. I have big hips for my frame, and a luscious and firm ass. Thanks a lot, competitive running.

I have tried sizing up, but the result is usually a baggy seat and/or crotch. I like my trousers very tight so I can show off my booty, but not so tight that I show off my cack.

unclesam099

Reaction score
Try Bonobos pants. The pockets are off-seam and tend to work well for me. I am a runner/rower, so I have a large upper leg that causes the same problem. PM me for a $50 off of $100 referral if you're interested.

Though finding something that fits your seat/hips and modifying the waist might be the best option.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is it better to have seat fit and take in waist than waist fit let out seat?

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Why is it better to have seat fit and take in waist than waist fit let out seat?

It's always better to take in because you don't have to worry about not having enough fabric. Usually there won't be enough fabric to properly let out the seat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads