• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flat front dress shirts- your help?

bigbrother690

Reaction score
About three years ago I deep-dove into the rabbit hole that is stiff flat front dress shirts- marcella, pique, plain, detachable collars, studs, the works.

I didn't end up finding what I wanted (and lost ~$600 to a horrible custom job) and put it on the back burner.

Well, I've returned :). My requirements have changed somewhat and I was wondering if you all could help me potentially find a vendor for what I'm after!

(Down below are also my pre-existing thoughts and experiences with a number of vendors; should save you some of the recs.)

Criteria:
1. The distant (~4") spacing between stud holes that only flat front dress shirts seem to have.
2. That gorgeous flat-as-a-board look.
3. Attached collar. Yes, I'm going attached! I tried the detachable route but it introduces *so* many complexities and complications that it's just not worth it.
4. Would love to find both wing and flat collars.
5. If wing collar, not too high. That would be great for white tie (but basically wrong if it's attached anyway) but doesn't really work well with more modern evening wear.
6. Marcella or plain- would love either/both.
7. If possible, machine washable. I only mention this because many places seem to boast/take pride in the fact that they've developed a non-starch requiring version and it sounds cool. However, on further reflection, this isn't a huge requirement for me (dry cleaning would be fine) as long as it doesn't *require* starching.

So, what have I explored/purchased in the past?...

Budd: very nice guys. But the only attached option they provide lacks some of the points above. On recent inspection, though, this one might, *might* work. Need to look into it further:

New & Lingwood: once again, I thought they failed on some of the points, but this shirt might qualify:

Ede and Ravenscroft: none of the dress shirts qualify.

Darcy Clothing: rather costume-quality, and their attached collars are too high.

Eton: this just popped up for me. I had looked at them in the past but didn't find what I needed. Now they do seem to carry what I'm after (including a flat front). Will inspect further.

There likely were others but these are the most salient ones to me. If I remember them I'll add them here (or as a reply if it doesn't allow updating.)

I have to say, typing this all out and looking up links again, I have more options than I remembered- since I've eased up a bit on my criteria, some of the vendors above likely actually do have what I'm after! Regardless, would love to get your recs if you know more. (For example, I'd love to find options that won't set me back ~$300 :), but I do realize this might be what I have to pay.)

Thanks so much all!!!!!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads