• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flat Front...Cuffs?

jjgold

Reaction score
I am thinking I may get a nice chalk stripe suit made. I have a couple suits with flat front (no pleats). I did get them cuffed. It seems everything I see and read says NO cuffs with flat front pants. What is the opinion? I did not think the ones I have to be any fashion mistake.

thanks

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Everything that you are reading is wrong. Cuffs are fine on flat fronts. 80% of my pants are this way.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people here adhere to the pleated/cuffs, flat front/no cuffs methodology.

I don't think going cuffed/flat is necessarily a faux pas (I could be wrong) - wear your pants in whatever fashion they look best to you.
smile.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think it's wrong, but I'm generally not a fan of the look. To me, it looks a bit out of balance. Perhaps with fairly generously cut trousers it would work for me.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fran
The flat front look without cuffs is totally weak. It is for slick guys and poseurs.

That's kind of harsh. It's a question of personal preference IMO. I personally prefer no cuffs on mine, but as my custom wardrobe expands, I'm going to add a few in for variety.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been gravitating a bit more toward flat front trousers of late (although the majority are still pleated). Pleats or not, though, I go for fairly generous cuffs (1.75").

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The flat front look without cuffs is totally weak. It is for slick guys and poseurs.

Flat fronts with a nice cuff is favored by many groups of the best dressed men including lots of Italians and the brothers of the Trad.

Uhhh...okay, bud. Whatever you say.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Flat fronts with a nice cuff is favored by many groups of the best dressed men including lots of Italians and the brothers of the Trad.

nest.gif

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm.....well, if the flat front trousers are part of a slimmer cut, narrower-lapel suit, I vote for very little break in the trousers and no cuffs. That's how i had my latest suit done, an oxxford radcliff-- and the same for the tan ff trouser suit i bought by isaia (the three button jacket has slimmer lapels on that particular model, as well). i guess i was going for something along the lines of connery-bond, and cuffs didn't seem right.

i guess i adhere to the traditional cuffs with pleated suit trousers (which i always wear on the natural waist with braces), flat front suit trousers (worn on the hips with a belt), no cuffs. i started phasing out my pleated dress slacks for flat fronts, as i think this guideline works for me across the board.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Uhhh...okay, bud. Whatever you say.
Well, I think that he comes off like a bit of a schmuck, and I have no opinions on what others look like with flat fronts and plain bottoms, but I do agree that plain fronts look very good with cuffs. I think that the ff/plain cuffs rule is some sort of message board construct that has not history in real life or grounding in any reason. It seems to be a situation looking for a rule.

rox

Reaction score
FWIW, when I suggested FF/pleats to my tailor, she looked at me like I was crazy.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Stu's comment is overly diplomatic. That's an idiotic comment.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Sorry if what I said was too strong. I just think that it makes no sense at all to have this position about the compatibility of cuffs and pleats. If taken further, you would say that french cuffs and plain bottom pants are incongruous because one is minimal and the other is more expressive. Hogwash indeed to me.

My comment about poseurs was perhaps unfortunate, but I think that the slick guys one must stand. It is a slick guy look to me.

Personally, I generally prefer cuffs regardless of whether my trousers are pleated or ff. But it seems to me that your objections isn't so much to the ff-no cuffs linkage, but to pants without cuffs across the board. Unless you're an advocate of pleats + no cuffs, which I don't understand to be the case.
My personal preference notwithstanding, I think it's pretty clear that no cuffs = slick is an overgeneralization. Here are a couple of characteristically excellent examples from the sartorialist's blog:
http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger.../Pinkpitti.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger...8/Studious.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics