Flat front advice needed

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manic, May 25, 2006.

1. Manic

Manic Active Member

Good day all,

I'm new-ish here. Great forum. For once in my life I don't feel out of place because I am into clothing.

Anyway, to my question.

Flat front pants... I wear them often but I tend to have a problem with some of the tighter fitting "italian" styled pants (D&G mostly) causing my.... ummmm.... ermmmmm.... package, to really stand out.

Honestly it's sort of embarrassing.[​IMG]

With my frame and body type, the lower waist and snug fit work very well. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent brands that fit in the nether regions, and still manage to have a bit of a snug upper leg and low waist.

2. kronik

kronik Senior member

Have you had them let out at all?

3. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Have you had them let out at all?

Crap, I misread that initially as in, uhm, you know, had them let out [​IMG]
    Anyway, I agree. If there is surplus material you can have them loosened.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

You could buy them a size up on the waist, and have a tailor take them back in which will still leave the crotch area a tad roomier than if you had bought your correct size.

5. Manic

Manic Active Member

My tailor basically told me he could let them out in the crotch a bit. But it would affect the overall fit in the hip and leg area.

His big joke was to just sew another leg on them... and no skalogre... I haven't had them let out[​IMG]

I'll think about buying them a size bigger and getting them taken down like Smart mentioned, but I don't know if I would still achieve the same perfect fit everywhere else. But I think that is the way I will have to go.

I was hoping that there was a designer out there who realized that men, are not all shaped like 12 year old boys in that area.

Oh well... I guess it's a curse I can live with. [​IMG]

Thanks guys

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

My tailor basically told me he could let them out in the crotch a bit. But it would affect the overall fit in the hip and leg area.

His big joke was to just sew another leg on them... and no skalogre... I haven't had them let out[​IMG]

I'll think about buying them a size bigger and getting them taken down like Smart mentioned, but I don't know if I would still achieve the same perfect fit everywhere else. But I think that is the way I will have to go.

I was hoping that there was a designer out there who realized that men, are not all shaped like 12 year old boys in that area.

Oh well... I guess it's a curse I can live with. [​IMG]

Thanks guys

I think it's more that D&G like to emphasize "that area" (cf. a quote from one of them that their jeans are meant to show off "the ass of a man").

Welcome to the forum BTW.

7. Manic

Manic Active Member

I think it's more that D&G like to emphasize "that area"

Thanks for the welcome!

As for D&G putting a little emphasis on the "area", I figured as much. The problem is;
    1. It's more than emphasis... It seriously looks like I have a pair of socks in my pants.
    2. It's not just D&G. Even my el cheapo Kenneth Cole's (swear words, I know) do the same. As do some of my other flat fronts.

Don't get me wrong. I'm ok with a little emphasis on the goodies. But when it starts to draw attention from strange women, it gets more than a little embarrassing.

I did go shopping tonight and tried on some D&G's in a size larger. With a little tailoring they should be better. Not great. But much better.

I don't know why I am even bothering with all of this. Tight fitted flat fronts are pretty much on the way out anyway.[​IMG]

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

a non-pleated pair of pants is a very dangerous thing. just look at this guy below: [​IMG]

9. j

Another option would be to wear different underwear with those pants. I have some Calvin Klein synthetic "trunks" (like boxers, kind of, but shorter) that help to avoid this problem.

10. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Looks like tenting more than a boner. [​IMG] j: I wouldn't be surprised about the jeans, though most brands of jeans do this anyways if you have a slimmer fit. In that GQ article you're quoting from, I think he was saying their suit trousers are meant to do that.

11. j

Looks like tenting more than a boner. [​IMG] j: I wouldn't be surprised about the jeans, though most brands of jeans do this anyways if you have a slimmer fit. In that GQ article you're quoting from, I think he was saying their suit trousers are meant to do that.
    You may be right. Someone read it aloud to me and it's been kind of a running joke ever since.

Although I'd have to say that unless specifically designed to do so, most jeans do not show off "the ass of a man" very well, being anti-fit for comfort's sake. And I am fine with this.

12. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

13. alflauren

alflauren Senior member

Not a pleat. Not sure what it is.

[​IMG]

14. Stu

Stu Senior member

a non-pleated pair of pants is a very dangerous thing. just look at this guy below:

[​IMG]

I fail to see how Hilary does that to him. There must be an intern off the left somewhere that we cannot see.

15. Manic

Manic Active Member

a non-pleated pair of pants is a very dangerous thing. just look at this guy below:

[​IMG]

God bless America.[​IMG]

Fortunately for me, my flat fronts are too snug to get that kind of "leverage".

Unfortunately, there isn't enough room in them for.... ummmm.... expansion of any sort.[​IMG]

I ended up buying a pair of D&G's one size larger and have already dropped them off to be tailored. I'm hoping it works.