• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flat cap advice

joe_bloggs

Reaction score
I never wear any sort of hat except a bog standard woolen one in winter. Thought I'd try something more stylish for a change when it's not too cold so thought I'd start off with a flat cap. I'll mostly be wearing it with a dark charcoal grey peacoat like below. Are there any rules regarding styling or colour of the cap? Would it be best to find one which is a similar colour but not an identical match?

1606593658809.png

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If your entire outfit is monochrome grey, a hat in a different, complementing color will make you look more alive than a grey hat. Grey works with all colors and depending on your skin tone, either warm colors (mustard/brown/red) or cool colors (green/blue/mauve) or both can look good on you. Things I'd match between the hat and the outfit are the shade of colors and weight and texture of the fabrics.
Untitled 4.jpg

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tricky to get this one right and the chances of looking like a 'dapper' Pinterest douchebag are very high. High enough that if you have to ask you're probably not cool enough to pull it off. The guy in the image already looks like a prissy douchebag with his too short, too tight pea-coat and aversion to soap and razor blades. This is no good.

If you must do it, I say a tweed cap would be your best bet. Accessorize with a world-weary frown, a copy of the Racing Post and a battered hip-flask in one of the pockets filled with Plymouth Navy Strength. The closer you can look to a character from a Ralph McTell song the better.

874388712a1ad2047f89ff0252139ec2.jpg

peacoat5.jpg

joe_bloggs

Reaction score
thanks for taking the time to reply @robxznyc and @Blake Stitched Blues . I like the tweed idea, might look for one in a more muted colour though. @Blake Stitched Blues those two hats in the image your posted are newspaper boy hats, I'm going to go for a more traditional flat cap, the newspaper boy style comes off as a lot more try hard I think and I don't believe I could pull it off. Baby steps! I'm definitely aware in some places you could come off as a douchebag, however they are pretty common here in the UK and don't have negative connotations. If it doesn't work least I've given it a go and can continue on my style journey!

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a variety of flat caps / trinity caps. If you search for Mucros flat caps or Hanna Hats tweed caps you'll find some great hats.

joe_bloggs

Reaction score
Well glad I decided to start trying different things as the flat cap finally turned up, went for a subtle grey herringbone. Liked it soon as put it on and have already had a few compliments. Fits like a glove as well. Will definitely look into getting different some different styles, some of those mucros trinity caps look great!

orangehaggis

Reaction score
I have a variety of flat caps / trinity caps. If you search for Mucros flat caps or Hanna Hats tweed caps you'll find some great hats.
Big fan of the Mucros 'trinity' model flat cap. Seems to suit my face better than the other models or caps from other makers. I own four or five of them.

Casaubon

Reaction score
How does one gauge whether a flat cap is decent quality or not? Is it just the fabric? What about the construction? I just purchased an inexpensive one online because it was 100% wool tweed in a herringbone fabric with a cotton lining, but looking at it now that I have it, it looks kind of strange. Not having much experience about them, I can't really put my finger on anything -- aside from the fact that it also seems to be too big for my head, apparently.

orangehaggis

Reaction score
How does one gauge whether a flat cap is decent quality or not? Is it just the fabric? What about the construction? I just purchased an inexpensive one online because it was 100% wool tweed in a herringbone fabric with a cotton lining, but looking at it now that I have it, it looks kind of strange. Not having much experience about them, I can't really put my finger on anything -- aside from the fact that it also seems to be too big for my head, apparently.

Country of manufacture has proven helpful to me. All of my favourite caps have been made in Ireland. There's a maker in Yorkshire whose produce is resold by several different retailers ... their caps are of good enough quality but the shape doesn't suit me.

As far as determining what shape suits your head, there's no substitute for going along to a shop and trying on different ones and seeing yourself in a mirror.

If you're in Canada or the USA, you might see if there are any Irish import shops nearby. If you're in the UK, try to find a shop selling traditional country clothing.

Casaubon

Reaction score
Thanks. This is, more or less, the answer I received from my father in law. He's had quite a few of these and, as it turns out, he is more satisfied with the ones made in the UK/US as opposed to elsewhere. Hasn't tried Irish-made ones yet. That being said, we are in Serbia and we don't get much import goods from these countries: best thing I can look for is to order online. Although, I think now that the one I bought some days ago isn't bad at all, I just wasn't used to wearing one.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite has been the Gill cashmere caps from Lock Hatter in London. Where do these rank by people's reckoning?

Panama

Reaction score
Country of manufacture has proven helpful to me. All of my favourite caps have been made in Ireland. There's a maker in Yorkshire whose produce is resold by several different retailers ... their caps are of good enough quality but the shape doesn't suit me.

As far as determining what shape suits your head, there's no substitute for going along to a shop and trying on different ones and seeing yourself in a mirror.

If you're in Canada or the USA, you might see if there are any Irish import shops nearby. If you're in the UK, try to find a shop selling traditional country clothing.
Are you referring to Lawrence & Foster?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads