• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flaps on pockets

Reaction score
Just finished reading Simon Ball's new book, The Guardsmen. I noticed in the photographs that most of the men have the flaps on their suit jackets tucked in. Is it a solecism to have them out (like buttoning the bottom button), or is it only a matter of personal taste?

Puzzled

Reaction score
OK, got the magnifying glass out... Certainly in some of the photos there are flaps which are tucked in. On others it's difficult to tell... Is "no flaps" an option?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is "no flaps" an option?
Quite.

I have a Zegna Napoli Couture suit that came without the pocket flaps. While I was not overly thrilled when I first got it (compared to my two other Napoli Couture suits that have the flaps), it is nonetheless a change from the ordinary and after a while grew to like it and now think it looks quite good.

Jon.

gregory

Reaction score
If a jacket comes with flaps, is it alright to tuck them in?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer flaps. Over the years, as the fit of the suit "relaxes" somewhat, the pockets on suits without flaps can tend to sag a bit, so the pockets gap. Pockets with flaps disguise this gapping better.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer besom welt pockets - I think the look is just sleeker. To prevent them from sagging, get the pockets sewn up. It'll prevent you from putting stuff in them, which throws off the line of the jacket in any case.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Some jackets are designed so that the pockets can be tucked in and still look good, for a more formal look, I imagine. Others will not look good with them tucked in. In any case, be sure to press or steam the jacket under the pockets so there are no depressions left if you do tuck them in, as happens if you press over the pockets.

gregory

Reaction score
I prefer besom welt pockets - I think the look is just sleeker.  To prevent them from sagging, get the pockets sewn up.  It'll prevent you from putting stuff in them, which throws off the line of the jacket in any case.
I do feel the same way - i.e. flap pockets are not sleek.

General Koskov

Reaction score
To avoid making the pockets useless by sewing them up (they are very useful for tickets and thin papers which will probably not distort your line) you could have a inside button like some inner breast pockets do.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To avoid making the pockets useless by sewing them up (they are very useful for tickets and thin papers which will probably not distort your line) you could have a inside button like some inner breast pockets do.

I think that it's better to have these in the inside chect pockets. Looks much cooler taking them out too. The problem with the inside button is when the (oblivious) cleaners iron over them...

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a terrific idea.

BjornH

Reaction score
Flusser discusses pocket flaps in his books and does consider them for more informal suits. No big news but the funny part is that he seems to be quite self concious about his hips as he repeatadly warns readers that this can widen your hips Â
biggrin.gif
Although I seldom open my pokets nowdays it irritates me not to be able to use them. I think it's a sign of style to use them without actually stuffing them but for that, you have to have enough money not to worry too much about damaging your suit. Look at the champs of style - one invariably sees photographs of them with their hands in their pokcets. These men are not afraid to use them. B

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not like flaps. Not my taste. I like clean tux style. It was 90s style however, I think its more classier .. just my opinion...

Also, my tailor told me, one should never open jacket pocket nor use them as they tend to get streched. All of my suit jacket pockets are sewed.

gregory

Reaction score
I have flap pockets. May I tuck them in? They pocket looks nice and natural when tucked in...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads