• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flapped Patch Pockets?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thoughts on this style of flapped patch pockets? Thinking of getting these on a couple of summer suits:

untitled-11.png

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks really weird. Like something that would take time to get used to and then become your favorite.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks a little odd on your example of a very shaped jacket.
In ancient times when Brooks Brothers was still Brooks Brothers,
Sport coats and tweed suits from the University and 346 Shop
usually came with Patch/Flap pockets. These were of course
3 Button Sack coats. Personally, I would go with Flap pockets
on the jacket you show.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have them on three of my Chan jackets. On two I specified them. On the third, I wanted open-top patch pockets, but Chan put the flaps on--either by mistake or because I didn't make myself clear enough. No biggie as far as I am concerned. I rather like them. It's an escape from the ordinary--helps make your bespoke garments look less like department store stuff.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't like the ones in the OP but I do like them when done right. By right I mean on a tweed SC with an open patch breast pocket. Like the original BB sport coat

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 1 3 piece suit, and one sportcoat with flap patch pockets. I wish I had the option to be able to tuck the pockets in, but otherwise I really like them both. It's not something I would ever ask for though. I prefer just flaps.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only reason why they are not normal today is because 90% of the people who bought bespoke died. The hippie generation were not the continuance of bespoke and the younger people today have no idea what bespoke is all about (they are rtw trained). By all means get what your heart and imagination wants that your tailor can make - that is what bespoke is.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only reason why they are not normal today is because 90% of the people who bought bespoke died. The hippie generation were not the continuance of bespoke and the younger people today have no idea what bespoke is all about (they are rtw trained). By all means get what your heart and imagination wants that your tailor can make - that is what bespoke is.

I am confused by your point. Brooks Brothers jackets which were mentioned in two of these posts as examples of patch/flap pockets
were RTW, and in the case of the University Shop and 346 Shop at BB, not very pricey. Until the '70s, I believe, Brooks had a true bespoke
operation. This department accounted for a very small portion of their business.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am confused by your point. Brooks Brothers jackets which were mentioned in two of these posts as examples of patch/flap pockets
were RTW, and in the case of the University Shop and 346 Shop at BB, not very pricey. Until the '70s, I believe, Brooks had a true bespoke
operation. This department accounted for a very small portion of their business.

I don't really understand your question. But what I find so strange today is how timid so many people are who buy bespoke. It is like they are asking for permission like a small child. When you look at the history of clothes before rtw you are looking at the imagination of customers and tailors. In every painting every man is wearing something different than his peers. With rtw everybody is wearing the same. Rtw things come and go and then come back again. Bespoke is anytime. With sports coats probably nearly everything imaginable has been done by tailors by the 50s. If it has already been done and OK, then how is it wrong today? Where is the timidness coming from? The whole thing about bespoke is to be different, except for certain reasons, such as uniforms. Rtw is where a million or more is stamped out, but that is not bespoke. Bespoke is as individual as each human being. Today almost all the sports coats look like a copy of a business coat (suit coat), from that perspective real sports coats are no longer made. Blazers, too, have become a business coat in appearance. The lack of imagination is shameful when it comes to bespoke for it is the opportunity to do something different. To show your friends what you are thinking. Since bespoke is art - it is like paintings in houses - nobody has the same. It is strange seeing so many people going to tailors for cookie cutter designs. It wasn't that way in the 60s.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ All your posts make me :brick::crackup::brick:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't really understand your question. But what I find so strange today is how timid so many people are who buy bespoke. It is like they are asking for permission like a small child. When you look at the history of clothes before rtw you are looking at the imagination of customers and tailors. In every painting every man is wearing something different than his peers. With rtw everybody is wearing the same. Rtw things come and go and then come back again. Bespoke is anytime. With sports coats probably nearly everything imaginable has been done by tailors by the 50s. If it has already been done and OK, then how is it wrong today? Where is the timidness coming from? The whole thing about bespoke is to be different, except for certain reasons, such as uniforms. Rtw is where a million or more is stamped out, but that is not bespoke. Bespoke is as individual as each human being. Today almost all the sports coats look like a copy of a business coat (suit coat), from that perspective real sports coats are no longer made. Blazers, too, have become a business coat in appearance. The lack of imagination is shameful when it comes to bespoke for it is the opportunity to do something different. To show your friends what you are thinking. Since bespoke is art - it is like paintings in houses - nobody has the same. It is strange seeing so many people going to tailors for cookie cutter designs. It wasn't that way in the 60s.

I think its just an example of groupthink at worst, or at best, just a way to get more ideas out of a bunch of guys who know quite a bit about clothing. I had an old three piece tweed suit and another old two piece that I got rid of that had these "envelope" patch pockets. I don't know if I'd have chosen to get them though. One had pockets that were set apart from the coat (the patches were not simply sewn on to the coat front, but made to kind of "stick out". Not sure what thats called. Was cool. I'm having a three piece tweed made up this fall, and I think I'm just going to go for the standard patch pockets on the coat.

For the groupthink element, many here favor the Neapolitan look rather than the English Country so if this were a poll, I'd imagine "no flaps" would win out.

wmb

Reaction score
I looked at this image yesterday and didn't care for the pockets but looking again today they have grown on me -- how about 'tuck-able' flaps on one and flapped envelope pockets on the other?

Last edited:

Costanza

Reaction score

Today almost all the sports coats look like a copy of a business coat (suit coat), from that perspective real sports coats are no longer made. Blazers, too, have become a business coat in appearance.

Can you find a picture of what you mean?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One had pockets that were set apart from the coat (the patches were not simply sewn on to the coat front, but made to kind of "stick out". Not sure what thats called. Was cool.

'Bellows' pockets I think they're called. A nice feature to have on a very sporty/tweedy Norfolk-style coat. There's this example from the Bookster website which has them:

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what I was talking about. I like flapped patch pockets if they are on a tweed SC, not on a suit jacket

Pic courtesy of Film Noir Buff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads