• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flannel work shirts

Skanstull

Reaction score
Inspired mainly by the RRL thread, I would like to get my hands on some nice, flannel or similar heavier cloth, check casual shirts, like the one below (posted by a fellow member in the RRL thread). RRL has some great shirts but they are both quite expensive and also a bit difficult to get hold of (I live in Europe so selection is limited).

I am also aware of Filson, that has some nice design. Is the quality comparable between RRL and Filson?

Any other brands I should check out? They need to be available from a European re-seller, as importing from the US becomes uneconomical with customs and VAT.

RRL.jpg

View attachment 1101336

wj94

Reaction score
That RRL one looks awesome, do you happen to have a link for that specific shirt?

robroy82

Reaction score
I’m a fan of five brothers flannels. They’re a Japanese company with two versions of the same shirt, one made in USA, one made in China. Price being the only difference I can tell. They’re kinda hard to track down outside of Japan, so rakuten is your friend here.

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure if you're already familiar, but check out Sugar Cane. They're manufacturing a lot of fabrics and this is their in-house line of sorts. Heavier without being an IH flannel, but still substantial. I'd recommend sizing up one full size, however.
https://shopcanoeclub.com/collections/sugar-cane

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I swear by Patagonia's flannels, the ones with the square cut tail. This year's patterns are kind of meh, but every year they come up with one or two that are pretty nice. They are really good for, you know, working -- cut is a little oversized with lots of room to move and the construction is first rate.

The best flannel shirt I own, though it's more of a heavyweight brushed cotton, is a Woolrich Woolen Mills from the Daiki era. I almost hate to wear it because at this point it's practically a collector's item. In the same vein EG flannel Work Shirt and Classic Shirt are on point. I have a flannel Classic Shirt, which is basically a long sleeve camp shirt, that I got about a decade ago and have worn it to death. EG has brought the Classic Shirt pattern back this year -- cool details like false flap chest pockets, hard to explain.

If you want a traditional cut flannel shirt -- in other words an ocbd but in flannel, Gitman Vintage has some really nice patterns every year. I've been looking for a blackwatch but only if the buttons aren't white or pearl. I agree that Portuguese Flannel's ... flannels .. look really nice, as they should...

Adroit

Reaction score
I am a flannel fanatic (which is completely incongruent with my locale). The best flannels I have come across are made by Samurai Jeans, Freewheelers, Stevenson Overalls, The Real McCoys, The Flat Head, and Iron Heart – the fabrics and workmanship are stellar.

Earlier in this thread, posters mentioned Engineered Garments, Portuguese, RRL, and Filson. I have flannels from each of these companies. They are all good products, but not on a par with the above listed brands.

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
I am a flannel fanatic (which is completely incongruent with my locale). The best flannels I have come across are made by Samurai Jeans, Freewheelers, Stevenson Overalls, The Real McCoys, The Flat Head, and Iron Heart – the fabrics and workmanship are stellar.

Earlier in this thread, posters mentioned Engineered Garments, Portuguese, RRL, and Filson. I have flannels from each of these companies. They are all good products, but not on a par with the above listed brands.
Are the top tier shirts you listed of a similar price to the second tier?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads