flannel trousers

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by TwillPoplin, Sep 7, 2016.

1. TwillPoplin

TwillPoplin Well-Known Member

Hi styleforum!

I have purchased my first grey flannel trousers. Would you say the fit is good/acceptable or should I return them?
    Sorry for the crappy lightning in the photos! :O
    It might be hard to tell from the photos but they are cuffed by about 2 inches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Way, way too long. Whoever cuffed them did a poor job of measuring because there is a puddle of fabric around your feet. If the length was a stock size, you certainly need to take them to a tailor to have the length adjusted. The pockets seem to be bowing outward a bit too.

3. TwillPoplin

It's of the rack, however if I downsize it will be too tight in the waist and pockets will bow even more. This size is comfortable.
    Is it harder for a tailor to shorten pre-cuffed pants (as in more costly)?

To reduce pocket bowing, should it be let out in the thigh area?

4. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Huh? Finished OTR trousers are typically marked waist x inseam. If you bought 34x32 for example, just buy 34x30.

More likely the seat will have to be let out, but I would defer to a tailor on that.

5. TwillPoplin

I bought it online and they came in regular suit sizes (not waist x length) so unfortunately I can't do that.
    But if I take them to a tailor and ask them to shorten them so the cuff rests on the top of the shoe (half-medium break style) and maybe sort out the seat, I will be good to go?

Thanks for your comments by the way :)

6. albertcross

albertcross Member

way too long but they look nice trousers to me.

7. TwillPoplin

Hi,

Got the trousers back today after having them shortened. I'm still considering if I should do something about the seat area, problem is all tailors in town also work as dry cleaners so I'm not sure if they got the skill to fix it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any comments? :)

8. Alpha11

Alpha11 Senior member

Waist, seat and thigh let out. Also keep in mind that the more taper you go the less break you need.

9. TwillPoplin

Hi, thanks for replying.
    So letting out the waist a bit to reduce pocket bowing, then seat and thigh to reduce horizontal lines in the butt area? Do you know if that is a simple procedure or a more advanced one?
    My hope is to get these as good as possible and then use the measurements for future MTM orders.

10. boze

boze Member

I disagree on the tailoring advice above. I prefer a slimmer look and I'd just hem the legs to get rid of that cuff.

11. Alpha11

Alpha11 Senior member

Just my opinion ( and that of women I know) when guys wear their trousers that tight across the rear-end it looks too feminine as women mostly wear their "pants" like that. There "is" a fine-line between wearing trousers that are fitting/trim and being mistaken as a woman from behind.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

12. TwillPoplin

I definitely do not want to be mistaken for a woman from behind ;)
    I went back to the tailor and asked him to let out some material around the seat area, specifically asking if he could get rid of the "beneath the butt wrinkles" and reduce the pocket bowing.
    We'll see how it'll turn out...

13. TwillPoplin

Well this is as good as the tailor could get it. I guess it looks better but not perfect.
    Tailoring costs are starting to build up and I'm not that happy to pay anymore on this pair so I think I will settle for this.

I'm tempted to go for mtm for upcoming purchases. I have heard some good things about Luxire. If I were to place an order, do you think I would get a better result if I measured these pants (in that case, any adjustments?) or would body measurements be better? As always, very happy to hear your comments :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Alpha11

Alpha11 Senior member

They look good to me and much better than what they were before.

15. EzraPaul

EzraPaul Senior member

I know some folks gave you waist/seat advice, but there are several seams that relate to each other and I think you got some wrong advice. The waist and seat are now too big.

The reason the trousers never fit well is because they are a longer rise than where you are wearing them. You need a lot less rise in the front in particular to wear them where you have them.

Try this: Hike them up a couple inches and cinch up your belt. I bet the upper thigh, seat, and front look better. Now you're not going to wear them that high, but that is how they are cut.

Do yourself a favor and take the waist and seat back in. Anyone on here that thinks otherwise, look at these tell-tale signs of a loose waist/seat:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next time you are shopping for trousers, pay particular attention to the fabric directly below your crotch. If there is additional fabric, the rise is too high for you.