• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Flannel trousers

Mike

Reaction score
Hey folks. I have heard from various sources that a pair of gray flannel trousers is a mainstay in any wardrobe. I have had a hard time finding a decent pair. Either the color is too dark or too light (i'm looking for a basic gray that will go with everything from black sweaters to a navy blazer) or they are too tight in the thigh. The latter usually occurs in the flat front style. Can anyone recommend a place. Now, I can't spend 500 bucks or anything. I'm going back to college in a few days so basically I'm going back into poverty. But I'm not looking for crap brand either. Any help? I was also looking for a pair of dark brown flannel trousers as well.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

Joe G

Reaction score
My grey flannel trousers came from Banana Republic. They're not great quality (not entirely virgin wool, for instance), but the price was right (US$10 on clearance), and they lasted a season. At full price, I doubt they'd be worth it. At significantly less, they're great. I'm sure they'll have something similar this year.

Peace,

JG

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i agree with first posting, Polo would be a classic way to go for inexpensive flannels. myself, i finally found a pair i liked from Zanella, exactly what i had in mind. definitely something every man should have in the wardrobe, along with the black knit/ grenadine necktie.

aybojs

Reaction score
Found these pants on Land's End online catalog; they're stretch wool with 2% lycra as opposed to pure wool if that's an issue, but for $60 they seem like they might be a good buy. I may actually get a pair myself, so maybe someone out there has had some experience with these or any Land's End trousers in general.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Either the color is too dark or too light (i'm looking for a basic gray that will go with everything from black sweaters to a navy blazer) or they are too tight in the thigh.  The latter usually occurs in the flat front style.
I think the tightness issue is a question of cut, not fabric. While flannel is not the most giving fabric, and clearly the color has nothing to do with it, the cut is what makes the pants tight in the thigh. If you're so proportioned, buy pleated pants - there's no shame in it.

As far as moderately priced flannels go, Brooks Brothers is always a staple. The pant is so ubiquitous that almost any designer will make them - find your favorite.

Mike

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy