• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flannel suits in Los Angeles

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
I love the way flannel suits look, but I'm not sure if they'd work in my climate. Have any of the Los Angeles forum users purchased a flannel suit? If so, how much wear do you get out of it? I feel like there are certainly nights that are cold enough. However, I don't wear a suit much at night. I guess I'm uncertain as to how warm it would actually wear. There are at least a few days each year that the weather doesn't get out of the 50's. Is upper 50's too warm to wear a flannel suit?

doodledoc

Reaction score
I love the way flannel suits look, but I'm not sure if they'd work in my climate. Have any of the Los Angeles forum users purchased a flannel suit? If so, how much wear do you get out of it? I feel like there are certainly nights that are cold enough. However, I don't wear a suit much at night. I guess I'm uncertain as to how warm it would actually wear. There are at least a few days each year that the weather doesn't get out of the 50's. Is upper 50's too warm to wear a flannel suit?

What's your job? If you're inside most of the day, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're outside often, then it's much harder to wear.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm 3 hours up the coast, but I can wear light flannel suits into the mid 60s. I'm not outside for much of the day and even when I am, I feel fine.

WhereNext

Reaction score
I would think the main factor, beyond flannel (woolen flannel tends to wear warmer than worsted flannel, in my experience) and worsted cloth is the weight.
With some worsteds, you can get a more open weave than others, of course, but I could wear a heavier worsted suit in warmer temperatures than the same weight woolen flannel.
I don't own any flannel suits/jackets that are under 12 ounces; once it hits about 70 F degrees, I would not wear them if I had to be outside much. But I could see (and would love to try out down the road) a very lightweight flannel in lighter shades being an interesting and probably not unbearable option in warmer (but not hot) weather. Lightweight flannel does, however, have the reputation of not holding a crease well and wearing out relatively quickly, but I'm sure it depends on which one you're using to some extent.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score

I'm 3 hours up the coast, but I can wear light flannel suits into the mid 60s. I'm not outside for much of the day and even when I am, I feel fine.

What is threshold for light weight flannel? 10 oz?

WhereNext

Reaction score
Realizing this questions wasn't directed at me: Fox has some that are down around 7 ounces (maybe 6?). That strikes me as being extremely light, but there you go!

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Southern CA and it will depend to on the weight of the flannel. However, summers are pretty much a no go as is much of the early parts of fall and late spring. The lighter flannels might be ok outside of summer time.

WhereNext

Reaction score
Yeah, that's a good number. Even 11-12oz isn't very heavy.

It might be worth injecting here: it depends also on how hot/cold you run. I have a 12 ounce flannel suit and I can wear it in 2-piece form to about 70 degrees if I don't have to be outside much and 3-piece only if it's mid-60s and below. Others may tolerate that weight/fabric quite differently!

doodledoc

Reaction score
It might be worth injecting here: it depends also on how hot/cold you run. I have a 12 ounce flannel suit and I can wear it in 2-piece form to about 70 degrees if I don't have to be outside much and 3-piece only if it's mid-60s and below. Others may tolerate that weight/fabric quite differently!
So true. I can work around in 60 degree weather in a t shirt and after 5 minutes, I'll be sweating profusely.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 oz would be cooler but it won't hold it's shape very well. So the creases would be less likely to hold and you'd have very saggy pant legs and sleeves by the end of the day. That isn't the end of the world--some might even like it!--but it's not what most expect. Also, it would probably wear out sooner.

On the other hand, Fox has some nice looking worsted flannels at lighter weights that I'd like to see in person (I've only looked online). I wonder whether they would hold up better through the course of the day while retaining enough of the look of flannel and being cooler.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score

This is a good point. I would say I run pretty hot. Might not be for me.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is a good point. I would say I run pretty hot. Might not be for me.

I run hot too and it definitely needs to be taken into consideration, but I still say an 10-110z flannel suit will get a good amount of wear in LA F/W.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads