• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flannel shirts

jc8715

Reaction score
Not certain if this is the best place to ask but what makers are you fond of for flannel shirts? I've liked the one I got as a present from Eddie Bauer, but it is a classic fit where I'd do best with slim. This season's colors I didn't care for. LL Bean looks nice but only the most traditional of tartans (not that bad of a thing as I'd like one in black watch). J crew? Brooks brothers has them but I'll wait for end of season as their regular prices are too high for my budget.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew is a pretty decent source and you needn’t come out looking like Elmer Fudd.
UniQlo is a good budget option as well.

If you’re looking for something like the feel of flannel that still looks clean, consider a cotton/cashmere blend shirt.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Find an aesthetic that you like and the brands associated with that aesthetic. Most brands nowadays sell flannel shirts. The cut, fabric, and subtle styling details on a flannel shirt will help you achieve a certain look.

It's too difficult to recommend flannel shirts as a general category because small styling details can impact the look. I like Iron Heart's Ultra-Heavy Flannels, but they're a heavy-duty workwear style that won't work if you like prep or something else.

If you narrow in on a look and find the associated brands, you will find flannel shirts that fit the aesthetic you want to achieve.

Last edited:

jc8715

Reaction score
Thanks that is a good point. I'm asking about shirts for a casual office, not hunting or work wear. Not extremely heavy weight. No pocket flaps, but pockets are fine. Slimmer fitted (I wear a 30 waist). Worn tucked into jeans usually. Occasionally w khakis but that's tough to not look like the dad from Frasier.

ASNY2VA

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Portuguese Flannel- I think they strike a good balance in quality/fit for the price (around $100 to $125). They tend to have a pretty broad array of patterns/styles.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks that is a good point. I'm asking about shirts for a casual office, not hunting or work wear. Not extremely heavy weight. No pocket flaps, but pockets are fine. Slimmer fitted (I wear a 30 waist). Worn tucked into jeans usually. Occasionally w khakis but that's tough to not look like the dad from Frasier.

Try Proper Cloth. They do MTM shirts.

jc8715

Reaction score
Try Proper Cloth. They do MTM shirts.
Thanks I wouldn't have thought of them for flannel. Will they run an end of season sale on flannel or being Mtm are the prices constant thru the seasons?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks I wouldn't have thought of them for flannel. Will they run an end of season sale on flannel or being Mtm are the prices constant thru the seasons?

Their prices are fairly constant. Sometimes they hold sales, but it's on a very narrow range of fabrics and it happens once in a blue moon.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much every year they do a Black Friday offer of free shipping but you’ve just missed that. At any rate shipping is free over around $300.

jc8715

Reaction score
Just a follow up for any interested readers.

Santa brought me flannel from LL Bean. Fabric is very nice and being able to buy tall sizes is perfect for me. If you are ok with very traditional colors these are my favorite off the rack.

I got some from j crew they are alright. They sell as slim OR tall so what I have is just barely adequate on sleeve length. Hopefully they don't shrink or I will be wearing them with sleeves rolled up. Some colors seem to be made with the patch pocket and shirt body pattern misaligned which looks bad. At their sale price these are still good just use some caution.

The brooks brothers stuff in slim are darted. In a solid color I think this is fine but in a tartan this doesn't look very nice. If you wear a more full fit these might be nice, but not for me.

deanandrewj

Reaction score
Find an aesthetic that you like and the brands associated with that aesthetic. Most brands nowadays sell flannel shirts. The cut, fabric, and subtle styling details on a flannel shirt will help you achieve a certain look.

It's too difficult to recommend flannel shirts as a general category because small styling details can impact the look. I like Iron Heart's Ultra-Heavy Flannels, but they're a heavy-duty workwear style that won't work if you like prep or something else.

If you narrow in on a look and find the associated brands, you will find flannel shirts that fit the aesthetic you want to achieve.
@dieworkwear what kind of outerwear do you like with the Iron Heart Ultra Heavy Flannels? I picked up my first this season and have loved wearing it at home over a 3sixteen thermal and some jeans. Have been struggling with what to wear over it if I’m heading out for errands since this thing is so substantial and very rugged in styling.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear what kind of outerwear do you like with the Iron Heart Ultra Heavy Flannels? I picked up my first this season and have loved wearing it at home over a 3sixteen thermal and some jeans. Have been struggling with what to wear over it if I’m heading out for errands since this thing is so substantial and very rugged in styling.

I sometimes wear it with a Schott double rider, Monitaly bomber, or Chimala chore coat. Some photos of the jackets below pulled off the web (although the first photo is mine).

I think it works with rugged workwear outerwear, although you need something kinda roomy because the flannel is thick. I find that it feels too constricting under slim jackets.

tumblr_inline_o2zgtwG8ny1qfex1b_540.jpeg
46D52E38-FD88-498D-8CDC-DA82FF779708.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 11.19.05 AM.png

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Occasionally w khakis but that's tough to not look like the dad from Frasier.
Maybe that explains why my neighbor calls me Martin. ;)

deanandrewj

Reaction score
I sometimes wear it with a Schott double rider, Monitaly bomber, or Chimala chore coat. Some photos of the jackets below pulled off the web (although the first photo is mine).

I think it works with rugged workwear outerwear, although you need something kinda roomy because the flannel is thick. I find that it feels too constricting under slim jackets.

View attachment 1739202 View attachment 1739204 View attachment 1739214
Thanks! Great inspiration. Like you said, I think I've struggled finding something chunky and heavy enough since they are such beefy flannels. I actually just picked up an older Monitaly bomber (I think it was called the Tanker) last week on the NMWA B/S thread. Maybe that will be my solution if it works out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads