• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flag pins: are they ever ok/necessary?

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw an old photo of Colin Powell wearing one while addressing the UN. Not a good look, in my opinion. Still, he was "on the job."

Can wearing a national flag pin (it always seems to be the USA) on one's lapel ever be a good thing, in SF world?
-Spats

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Unless you're a politician, you shouldn't just wear one to wear one. I think that lapel pins are an opportunity to express an opinion, individuality, something interesting, or perhaps even an accomplishment. So if there is a message you wish to convey, please wear the flag. Usually they are small and do not affect the style. I wear a flag on one of my SC.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you hate our freedoms?
frown.gif

PTWilliams

Reaction score
If your referring to my reply, I don't hate our freedoms. I just encourage people to wear them with conviction. Politician should wear them too, in many cases along with a lot of tar and feathers.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My partner and I set up the first Russian/English text paging company in Moscow during the early to mid 1990s. We wore flag pins on our suit lapels that were crossed US and Russian flags symbolizing our partnership. We handed them out to clients and vendors and received a lot of complements. I have not worn one since.

Twotone

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
If you want to pander to uber-patriotic clients/constituents in the most meaningless of ways, then by all means go for it, red.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
If you want to pander to uber-patriotic clients/constituents in the most meaningless of ways, then by all means go for it, red.

That's why politicians are wearing them...

It is working especially in the US...

I'm always suspicious of uber patriotic politicians...

I love my country and I don't need to wear a pin on my jacket to remind others...

Why wearing an American flag lapel in America in front of fellow Americans...

Wear it abroad and that's a statement...Could be a dangerous one in some parts of the world.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
That's why politicians are wearing them... It is working especially in the US... I'm always suspicious of uber patriotic politicians... I love my country and I don't need to wear a pin on my jacket to remind others... Why wearing an American flag lapel in America in front of fellow Americans... Wear it abroad and that's a statement...Could be a dangerous one in some parts of the world.
It took a while before Obama started wearing one, and to put his hand on his heart for the pledge of alligence, obviously showing that you can be a patriotic natural born American citizen without affecting these symbolic jestures. Who could be more patriotic than our president?

cfig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
It took a while before Obama started wearing one, and to put his hand on his heart for the pledge of alligence, obviously showing that you can be a patriotic natural born American citizen without affecting these symbolic jestures.

Actually he was criticized for not putting his hand over his heart during the national anthem, a bit odd since that's not actually standard practice unless you're wearing a ballcap.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
That's why politicians are wearing them...

It is working especially in the US...

I'm always suspicious of uber patriotic politicians...

I love my country and I don't need to wear a pin on my jacket to remind others...

Why wearing an American flag lapel in America in front of fellow Americans...

Wear it abroad and that's a statement...Could be a dangerous one in some parts of the world.

I'm always especially suspicious of Americans who wear other countries flags on their lapel, like Italy, U.K...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am as close to a McCarthyite as this forum has, and I hate the damned pin and would not even wear it at the White House after 9/11.

Still, USA! USA! USA!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal

Originally Posted by Manton
I am as close to a McCarthyite as this forum has, and I hate the damned pin and would not even wear it at the White House after 9/11.

Still, USA! USA! USA!

Originally Posted by gdl203
Why do you hate our freedoms?
frown.gif

frown.gif

mdao63

Reaction score
If you aren't Colin Powell (and are on the job) it helps with the brand recognition.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it's only appropriate when it's the Rebel Flag and you're doing it in protest against the Yankee oppression that has been crushing our dear South since the War of Northern Agression. Wearing a flag pin in any other context is just tacky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads