• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fixing a Wrinkled Tie

NYCniceguy

Reaction score
I have a beautiful silk Charvet tie that becomes very wrinkled after wearing it for a full day. Is there a proper way to fix it? Hanging doesn't help, and I can't think that ironing would be a good idea. Steaming perhaps?

Zubberah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Yes, steaming will work wonders. Do not iron it!

I have ironed ties before and had no problems. You MUST be very careful though and press very lightly to keep the rounded edges. Use a thick cloth to buffer the heat. I've seen many high end tie makers iron ties before putting them out to sale too. Won't mention names but you can bet your bottom dollar some of the names make frequent appearances on this forum.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But an employee of mine said that she saw on television to tightly wrap a wrinkled tie around a glass bottle and put hot water in the bottle will get the wrinkles out without pressing the tie.

Someone please try this and let us all know...

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
But an employee of mine said that she saw on television to tightly wrap a wrinkled tie around a glass bottle and put hot water in the bottle will get the wrinkles out without pressing the tie.

Someone please try this and let us all know...

Seems more straightforward to just hang it in the bathroom while you shower .

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
When you take off your tie, remember to always untie the knot instead of sliding the tail through it, that will inevitably stretch the interior and exterior fabrics causing a warping that will never go away unless you reconstruct the tie. Hold the tip of the tie and let it hang straight and gently stroke the fabric down to realign the exterior fabric to the lining.
After that process, roll the tie from the tail end in a coil and let the tie sit for a day or two then return it to your tie rack if you use one. Some leave their ties coiled in a drawer designated for their ties. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Gary

"VOTE" www.cbs4boston.com/alist

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
roll the tie from the tail end in a coil and let the tie sit for a day or two then return it to your tie rack if you use one. Some leave their ties coiled in a drawer designated for their ties. Hope this helps.

This rolling part I do whenever I take my tie off. I roll it, leave it for a day or so and then hang the tie. This is all that is needed for most ties. Some silks hold the wrinkles a bit longer. Don't care to store them this way. They tend to look wavy or distorted if I leave them rolled up too long.

chrisc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
When you take off your tie, remember to always untie the knot instead of sliding the tail through it, that will inevitably stretch the interior and exterior fabrics causing a warping that will never go away unless you reconstruct the tie.

I don't get the recommendation of untying the knot as opposed to sliding the tail. Don't know about you guys, but for me untying the knot leads to even more pulling compared to just sliding it out.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisc
I don't get the recommendation of untying the knot as opposed to sliding the tail. Don't know about you guys, but for me untying the knot leads to even more pulling compared to just sliding it out.

When you slide the tail out you are stretching the exterior and interior fabrics which is not good in the long term. Now that I have answered your question, would you please vote for us.

Thanks,

Gary

Zubberah

Reaction score
I keep my tie knots pretty loose so sliding out tail while holding knot is quite swift and easy. Unknotting the knot just makes it all so difficult and you end up with hands exerting various pressures all over the front blade (which you don't want damaged as this is what is seen). I prefer the quick tail slide out while holding knot.
devil.gif

OffTheRack

Reaction score
I have a faille Ben Silver tie in solid slate that I bought a couple of months ago (off of the outlet, not full price), and it's a beautiful color, but fairly rigid. Anyway, while wearing it, I got caught in the rain. The rain made the tie get wrinkly. I've generally taken care of the wrinkles by rolling, hanging, steaming while showering, and finally some ironing on the silk setting while using a cloth on top of the tie. But the tip of the tie just will not cooperate. It still has a large wrinkle running across it, and I just can't seem to get it back to looking like new.

Any suggestions? Is this because of poor quality lining? Would tie crafters help? Please help!

Thanks in advance.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigNate82
I have a faille Ben Silver tie in solid slate that I bought a couple of months ago (off of the outlet, not full price), and it's a beautiful color, but fairly rigid. Anyway, while wearing it, I got caught in the rain. The rain made the tie get wrinkly. I've generally taken care of the wrinkles by rolling, hanging, steaming while showering, and finally some ironing on the silk setting while using a cloth on top of the tie. But the tip of the tie just will not cooperate. It still has a large wrinkle running across it, and I just can't seem to get it back to looking like new.

Any suggestions? Is this because of poor quality lining? Would tie crafters help? Please help!

Thanks in advance.

If it's at the tip, tiecrafters does offer re-tipping. If it's the lining, they also provide re-lining.

katia

Reaction score
I ve tried the hot water on a bottle for 15 min… it did not work.
Then I put the front of the tie inside a pillowcase and ironed it with max temperature plus steam, at the tie looks like new! Hubby is happy!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads