• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fixing a failed shine

luxperpetua

Reaction score
New here. Wanted to shine the toe caps on my fairly new Loake monk straps, but ended up with this uneven result. Any ideas?
151CFAF9-D176-451B-BEDC-10025800E39E.jpeg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it would help if you told us what you actually did

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I first applied some saphir creme 1925 medium brown all over.
Then waited awhile before applying pate de luxe tan color on the toe cap.
Sounds reasonable. I’d have used a slightly darker color for the toe cap but not a big deal. What are you unhappy about? The darker area on the left toe cap? Was it there before you started polishing?

The Thai Gent

Reaction score
I first applied some saphir creme 1925 medium brown all over.
Then waited awhile before applying pate de luxe tan color on the toe cap.
Did you wipe off excess cream after buffing? Sometimes there would be a residual layer of cream on the surface of the leather that did not get absorbed into the leather, and does not come off with just buffing with a horsehair brush - would need a cloth to wipe off. Needless to say, the amount of residues would depend on the amount of cream you applied in the first place.

In my experience, there are two ways you can go about resolving this: 1) Remove the wax and start over; 2) Get a dark wax (dark brown, black, navy) and apply on both toe caps until the colour becomes more even. It won't completely match but the difference will be subtle.

Hope this helps.

luxperpetua

Reaction score
Sounds reasonable. I’d have used a slightly darker color for the toe cap but not a big deal. What are you unhappy about? The darker area on the left toe cap? Was it there before you started polishing?
The darker area was not there before, also the toe caps were
Did you wipe off excess cream after buffing? Sometimes there would be a residual layer of cream on the surface of the leather that did not get absorbed into the leather, and does not come off with just buffing with a horsehair brush - would need a cloth to wipe off. Needless to say, the amount of residues would depend on the amount of cream you applied in the first place.

In my experience, there are two ways you can go about resolving this: 1) Remove the wax and start over; 2) Get a dark wax (dark brown, black, navy) and apply on both toe caps until the colour becomes more even. It won't completely match but the difference will be subtle.

Hope this helps.

I did wipe them off but must have been some cream left judging from the result.

As you suggested I have now done an attempt to cover it over with the black saphir shine. Took two more layers to reach some kind of symmetry and almost became too shiny *shrug*.

I’m considering leaving them like this and then stripping it off with renomat in a few months when it has cracked..
65E3680D-B712-476F-925E-B9495C7EC83B.jpeg

3FC32E44-AD46-4EAA-BA7D-973FA14538B3.jpeg

The Thai Gent

Reaction score
The darker area was not there before, also the toe caps were

I did wipe them off but must have been some cream left judging from the result.

As you suggested I have now done an attempt to cover it over with the black saphir shine. Took two more layers to reach some kind of symmetry and almost became too shiny *shrug*.

I’m considering leaving them like this and then stripping it off with renomat in a few months when it has cracked..
View attachment 1423811
View attachment 1423812
I think you did a good job! The shoes look great. I agree with you, just leave it that way. I would minimise the use of renomat on leather if I were you. It’s not good to use renomat on leather in the long run, as it dries out the leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads