Fix my collar

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Renault78law, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Here's a closeup of my Chan shirt. I don't like the way the collar curves at my collar bone. Infuriatingly, unbuttoned, they curve the opposite direction. [​IMG] I'm thinking of having the collar ends shorted by .25" (I believe they 3.5" now) on my next series of shirts, and asking for a stiffer interliner. However, I read a post recently that said someone was having the same problem and that he couldn't fix it to matter what the length. Anyone have any insite? I can always have a more spread collar, but seems a bit too formal for everyday business wear. [​IMG] On a happy sidenote, I wanted to announce that I received my first job offer. More clothes on the way...

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

3.5" is a seriously long collar point. Unless you are 6'6", bring it down by at least a 1/4" on each point. Otherwise, that's a pretty good looking collar. Can you pull the tie up a tad, to hide that bit of collarband that's showing above the knot?

3. Renault78law

I KNEW someone was gonna say that. [​IMG] Thanks for the tips, Manton.

4. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

If the shirt has removable collar stays, you could try putting longer ones in, so that they extend all the way from the point to the fold between band and collar, and therefore can't slide about.
    It looks like the curl at the point is happening because the stays are sliding up a bit.

5. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

1] Shorten the points 1/4" and decrease the front sides correspondingly 2] Have the front of the band made 3/8" higher 3] Use the correct length collar stays - those are too short* 4] The interlining needs to be much stiffer or doubled in the front 5] Spreading the collar 1/4" more on each side would help * They may also be too soft. When this situation happens, you may need to get collar stays which are too long and cut them with scissors so that they reach exactly to the fold between the band and the leaf Congratulations on the job. Where do I send my bill? [​IMG]

6. dusty

dusty Senior member

Who makes the tie?

7. dorian

dorian Senior member

Um, I agree with Alex... Yes, I concur.... [​IMG] All that from a picture... wow...

8. Renault78law

Thanks for all of your comments Alex. Especially the part about the job...it's a huge relief. Now I can afford some new shirts. I hope they can accomodate me and raise the band. The collar is already higher than normal (I asked for it that way, I'm a pencil necked geek). Is there a relationship between how high the front of the band is, and how tall the collar height is in the rear? Or are they two different things? Will I probably have to go with double buttons? Anyone know where I can find longer collar stays? These are the longest that Brooks Brothers makes, and the ones that came with the shirt are the same size.

9. Renault78law

The tie is Dunhill. Likey? It's my favorite interview tie.

10. dusty

dusty Senior member

Originally Posted by dusty,Mar. 22 2005,16:00
    Who makes the tie?
    The tie is Dunhill. Â Likey? Â It's my favorite interview tie.
    I do.

11. Alexander Kabbaz

Not a so strong a relationship that you can't add 3/8 height to the front whilst leaving the back as it is. No change will need to be made to the back to follow my suggestions.

That's a personal preference, but I would advise it unless you want your tie space changing all the time.

How many inches long are they?

12. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

FWIW, Express has the longest stays I've seen and they are pretty stiff.

13. Alexander Kabbaz

Do they sell the stays by themselves or only include them with shirts?

14. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

bump for AK. he answers way more questions than he asks, so i hate to see one go unanswered. (besides i'm curious to know the answer too.)

/andrew

15. Renault78law

My BB plastic collar stays measure 2.75". Â Hopefully that'll be long enough once I shorten the shirt collar. Â Otherwise, still on the lookout for longer stays. Edit: just realized, I'm gonna be making bespoke collar stays. Â top that. Edit 2: ok ok, MTM collar stays.