• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fitted undershirt

cbrown

Reaction score
i thought it would be much easier to find a fitted undershirt.
i am just trying to find an undershirt that fits...has some length to it, doesnt have huge arm holes and tons of extra fabric around the torso. going down a size makes me look like a boy with his clothes shrunk too short. polo used to make them that way but they stopped. gap has some but the people i live around raise a stink about gap, nike, etc and mess with people.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
easy to find? yes.
inexpensive? no.

there is a great line of tapered, close fitting undershirts by either Hanro or Zimmerli, both of which are the finest swiss cotton. Neiman Marcus carries both, and i'd be hard pressed to tell which one is of better quality. however, with this perfection comes a hefty price tag. look online to see if you can find either of these undershirts at a better price.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
CBrown:

I know someone who sells them online if you're interested.

davei

Reaction score
Joe G: do tell. I know Neiman Marcus sells Hanro online, but they don't have undershirts, only boxers, briefs, and ts.

Joe G

Reaction score
Joe G: do tell.  I know Neiman Marcus sells Hanro online, but they don't have undershirts, only boxers, briefs, and ts.
Oh, sorry, I don't have anything to add. All of my undershirts are from Fruit of the Loom or 2xist. Then again I'm a bigger guy (size 54L or 56L jacket, 41 shirt), and the larger arm-holes of the American shirts suit me fine. Also, they're cheap, which is good because they don't last long.

And I'm pretty happy with them. I bought an undershirt once on a lark at Palmers whilst buying something for my gf. Truth be told, I didn't like it. It was very stiff, but the neck-hole sagged just as fast as a FotL shirt's.

As an aside, T-shirts are one thing Europeans just can't do well at a reasonable price. (I often wear t-shirts under sportcoats in the summer.) Sure, Helmut Lang makes an outstanding T, but for e86+, he better. But, in all honesty, I prefer el-cheapo Gap T-shirts to even HL's.

Peace,

JG

davei

Reaction score
Whoops, that reply was directed to Steve B, not Joe G
smile.gif

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by the way, a good source for all of these shirts is www.figleaves.com prices are decent, as well.

Icehawk

Reaction score
If you are up for ~$20ea the American Apparel "t-shirts" are pretty nice. They go as small as XS and it is a real XS. They have crew, V, and super deep V which is nice if you like to unbutton the top of your shirts.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calvin Klein lines with 98% cotton 2% spandex (eg. 365 series) or American Apparel if you want all cotton.

wsblend

Reaction score
I know others will boo this recommondation but JC Penney's undershirts that I have in a medium-tall are not tight but are close to it in the chest and shoulders. I'm about a 38" chest and the medium-talls are labeled 38-40 so they seem to run on the small side. If you don't need designer underclothes, try them. The heavyweight version isn't "silky" though the midweight version is a cotton/polyester blend and is rather smooth to the touch.

sidewinder13

Reaction score
I got an Armani Exchange undershirt that really hugs the figure - no excess fabric, and it really accentuates my slight gut
smile.gif
and it is made of pima cotton too. They are really nice and soft, imo. I got mine in XS.

I don't know if they sell it in the US anymore (I checked the website, didn't see anything) but they sure do have them in the A/X shop here in Sydney.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope the OP hasn't been holding his breath.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sportin_life
Calvin Klein lines with 98% cotton 2% spandex (eg. 365 series) or American Apparel if you want all cotton.

95% of my undershirts are these CK 365 series, but I am slowly phasing them out (shoe polish rags). My only gripe is that the spandex breaks down fairly quickly and you end up with a loose shirt. Recently, I tried the regular Nordstrom brand undershirt. They are fantastic. Fit slim in the body, a tight high crew neck, and are extra long to make tucking easy, and so far they have been washing well. I'm only buying these from now on.

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
If you are up for ~$20ea the American Apparel "t-shirts" are pretty nice. They go as small as XS and it is a real XS. They have crew, V, and super deep V which is nice if you like to unbutton the top of your shirts.

+2 on American Apparel. I tried most of the cheapo brands as well as some of the more expensive brands mentioned (Zimmerli) and have found American Apparel t-shirts (both the v-neck for open collar and crew neck when I'm wearing a tie) to be the best option. Trim, sturdy, relatively high arm holes and for an article of clothing that will suffer some abuse, cheap enough to not sorry about the inevitable degradation that will ensue. I got them for like $10 / shirt from one of the many many sellers listed on Amazon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads