• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fitted Slim Shirts & Tying a tie

Cazk88

Reaction score
I wear dress shirts everyday for work, sometimes without suits, so my entire shirt is exposed. I am only 5'6 145lbs and the shirts I wear are just baggy on me; so much it makes me look bigger than I am in the mirror and in pictures. I'm looking for a fitted shirt that will have a nice slim look on me. I realize, since I'm only 5'6, I'm not that tall, and the slim shirts look more "slimmer" on taller people. So, I was wondering if there is a type of shirt out there that I can find or type of style or website that I can buy shirts for my height to have a slim look with less buldge showing around the waste.

In reference to ties, I am trying to get a nice dimple on my tie, and I am trying to figure out how to best make it look professional with the dimple. I found a picture, and what type of knot is this?

http://tinypic.com/r/dqqdc8/7

Thanks!

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For starters, don't buy standard/traditional dress shirts. Always Slim. Or extra-slim if available (eg: Brooks Brothers). Another option is to bring your current dress shirts to a tailor. Have them take in the shirts from the side and slim the sleeves while they are at it. Should cost $25-40 depending on where you go. (Darts alone may not cut it).

In regards to the knot, looks like a nice four-in-hand with a good dimple. Just practice, its one of the easiest knots to tie.

Cazk88

Reaction score
Ok, so a tailor can actually reduce the sides to make it a slim fit? Should I still have him do the sleeves?

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, see related thread
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=226821

as cioni2k, suggested, BB is a good starting point...I'm about the same height (but @ 156lbs) and the Charles Tyrwhitt fit shirts are a good fit ($39-50) ....check their website

..hope this helps

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cazk88
Thanks!

Last question...how does one get their tie to look like this? Is there a clip that holds this up? Thanks.

http://www.sanfordbryant.com/LookDet...p?G=M&Look=315

That is what your knot should not look like. That knot is far too big in any case, unless you are Prince Michael of Kent. But if your knot is tight enough it should stick out like that on it's own. That look is very desirable. A collar bar/pin can help if you wear a point collar or club collar.

cam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cazk88
Thanks!

Last question...how does one get their tie to look like this? Is there a clip that holds this up? Thanks.

http://www.sanfordbryant.com/LookDet...p?G=M&Look=315

That is just a really thick tie in a full windsor knot. A full windsor is the right knot for a number of professions, especially finance/financial services. You should not be wearing ties that thick and pompous though. Get normal ties at a department store that aren't an inch thick.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot who I got this from here but when slipping the blade through the last loop, slipping a finger in the loop, tighten the knot up a bit before pulling finger out and finishing the knot seem to help. And obviously dimpling is harder on a skinnier tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads