• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fitness is the Best Style- Building Your Wardrobe Around Your Body

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gym membership? Nah, I'll stick with my usual regimen.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Pawz

Reaction score
I'm 6' 170lbs. I used to weigh almost 200 (lost the weight in about nine months by cutting lunch). I'd say I'm doing ok.

...Somehow, though, my suit size is still 42. I don't think I'd ever fit a 38 (my height is a factor, I'm sure), but vanity size is vanity.

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm 6' 170lbs. I used to weigh almost 200 (lost the weight in about nine months by cutting lunch). I'd say I'm doing ok.
...Somehow, though, my suit size is still 42. I don't think I'd ever fit a 38 (my height is a factor, I'm sure), but vanity size is vanity.

I know what you mean. When I'm fit I'm a 38/32, and when I'm fat I'm a 38/34.

Xenon

Reaction score

Do all of you thin buff twenty somethings honestly think that we fifty somethings were overweight in our twenties and thirties? Many of us fifty somethings that are now twenty to thirty pounds overweight only became so over the last fifteen years or so.
Do you believe that yours will be the first generation that is "fit for life" as you enter your golden years?
It is not my intention to start a war here...just curious as to your thoughts.

I think the issue though is expectation. I am 41 and still fit perfectly in the suit I purchased for high school graduation. I never expected to gain weight as I grew older despite everyone claiming i would. I think the slowing metabolism is a consequence of lifestyle and mindset. Also diets are becoming more focused on ready to eat food which is god awful in every way possible.

Last advice to anyone concerned; Whatever and whenever you eat slow the *^(*&%)_(_) down, there's no race you know and no prize for whoever finishes the food first. No need to shovel the food into your mouth. I can't tell you how annoying it is to have everyone around the table starting desert while you are only halfway through your entree. There really is a correlation between body weight and how fast you eat.

Last edited:

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hide my horrendous body with fanciful garments until I've lured her into my lair and she cannot escape my lecherous grasp.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You looked good last week, although you did eat a lot of lamb. And I may never forgive you for taking the last bit of octopus.
A mile walk would be a perfect warm-up. Although there are other good options. For example, I'm finishing my third fudge-coated Joe-Joe on my way to the gym right now.

I'm Chinese even more than I am Catholic. We don't rest on decorum. When all parties at the table have already demurred from the last piece of octopus, I'm not waiting for a second round of protestations.

I looked good because the awesomeness of my Margiela jacket hid my hideous body.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think the issue though is expectation. I am 41 and still fit perfectly in the suit I purchased for high school graduation. I never expected to gain weight as I grew older despite everyone claiming i would. I think the slowing metabolism is a consequence of lifestyle and mindset. Also diets are becoming more focused on ready to eat food which is god awful in every way possible.

Lifestyle is certainly part of it, but there is a reason that men who never had to diet or watch what they eat tend to start gaining weight in their 50s. Slowing metabolism is a biological fact. For men, your testosterone production slows down, which makes you basically invariably lose some muscle mass. Less muscle mass, lower basal metabolic rate. You're only 41, this process wouldn't have happened for you yet.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple of points here: In the first place, developing a first-rate physique is by no means a guarantee you can look great in cheap suits. In general men with massive chests and considerable drops are hard to fit well with RTW clothes. Custom tailoring is usually required for such an individual to look good in a suit. Manton in his book The Suit devotes an entire chapter to this topic. I eventually found that with most RTW jackets the lapels would invariably buckle.

Just because you are getting older, there's no excuse for turning into a slovenly fat man! I just took my chest and waist measurements this morning: They were 46.5/35.5, and I'll be turning 70 three months from today. No, I am not nearly as strong as I was in my prime, but just walking The Great Beast of Revelation (my Tosa, Cyrus) three times a day is enough to keep me in pretty good trim, and I try to supplement that with some barbell and elliptical training.

I never liked going to a gym, much preferring a good home gym. I never liked the idea of exercising along with a bunch of grunting, sweaty, nearly naked men, and a well-stocked home gym is so much more convenient. I have a 400-pound Olympic set (certainly can't use most of that weight these days) and 300 pounds of exercise plates for dumbbells. Lately I have been training my wife, who is a zealous bodybuilder. Her intensity puts me to shame!

emptym

Reaction score
^THat's impressive JL.

I'm Chinese even more than I am Catholic. We don't rest on decorum. When all parties at the table have already demurred from the last piece of octopus, I'm not waiting for a second round of protestations.
I looked good because the awesomeness of my Margiela jacket hid my hideous body.

Actually, I think I ate the last piece of octopus...

You looked terrible in that jacket; you should give it to me.

Last edited:

TheWhat

Reaction score
Couple of points here: In the first place, developing a first-rate physique is by no means a guarantee you can look great in cheap suits. In general men with massive chests and considerable drops are hard to fit well with RTW clothes. Custom tailoring is usually required for such an individual to look good in a suit. Manton in his book The Suit devotes an entire chapter to this topic. I eventually found that with most RTW jackets the lapels would invariably buckle.
Just because you are getting older, there's no excuse for turning into a slovenly fat man! I just took my chest and waist measurements this morning: They were 46.5/35.5, and I'll be turning 70 three months from today. No, I am not nearly as strong as I was in my prime, but just walking The Great Beast of Revelation (my Tosa, Cyrus) three times a day is enough to keep me in pretty good trim, and I try to supplement that with some barbell and elliptical training.
I never liked going to a gym, much preferring a good home gym. I never liked the idea of exercising along with a bunch of grunting, sweaty, nearly naked men, and a well-stocked home gym is so much more convenient. I have a 400-pound Olympic set (certainly can't use most of that weight these days) and 300 pounds of exercise plates for dumbbells. Lately I have been training my wife, who is a zealous bodybuilder. Her intensity puts me to shame!
Very inspiring JLibourel. You are like a dapper Jack Lalanne! And I completely understand the issue with the bid drop. I have 9-10 inch drop, but most companies make what they call athletic cuts, and you can also buy the top and the bottom separately as well now.

sborg

Reaction score
It's all about wearing a suit that fits your particular body shape. A bigger bbody obviously should be stopped from wearing slim fitting clothes in the same way that thinner bodies would look better/healthier with a looser fit yet still close to the body.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunno -- would the $50-100 for a monthly gym membership be better spent at your tailor's, tweaking what you own or buy to fit your body? I'd suspect that unless you're going for a massive lifestyle change, the answer is the latter.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very inspiring JLibourel.  You are like a dapper Jack Lalanne!  And I completely understand the issue with the bid drop.  I have 9-10 inch drop, but most companies make what they call athletic cuts, and you can also buy the top and the bottom separately as well now.

Not in anything high end RTW.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads