• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit: what does it mean?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's my stab at it.

"Fit" is the ratio between a garment's conformity to a wearer's body over a reasonable range of motion to the quantity of material constituting the garment. The bigger the number, the better the fit.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I suggest it's more of an aesthetic (and therefore inexact and arbitrary) thing?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Here's my stab at it.

"Fit" is the ratio between a garment's conformity to a wearer's body over a reasonable range of motion to the quantity of material constituting the garment. The bigger the number, the better the fit.

So lycra is god's gift tp those who want a perfect fit? Don't encourage that Vox chap.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
So lycra is god's gift tp those who want a perfect fit? Don't encourage that Vox chap.

Well sure, Superman's uniform fits extremely well. Doesn't mean it looks good or I'd want to wear it.

Also, when added to cotton, lycra causes fabric to bunch, wrinkle, and move funny. This hurts the first number in the ratio.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mafoofan, I am bad at math, but aren't you basically saying that fit equals minimal fabric? Does this mean sack suits don't fit?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Mafoofan, I am bad at math, but aren't you basically saying that fit equals minimal fabric? Does this mean sack suits don't fit?

I'm saying good fit is using the least material possible to create a garment that conforms to you as well as possible as you move around.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my stab at it.

So drapey jackets fit poorly?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I'm saying good fit is using the least material possible to create a garment that conforms to you as well as possible as you move around.

I wouldn't disagree with you from a productivity point of view (say you're making military uniforms). Although I'd add functionality and durability to these characteristics and replace "material" by "material + work". Not sure that's what I want to discuss here but it's an interesting point nonetheless.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So a British jacket has a better "fit" than an American jacket?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
So drapey jackets fit poorly?

They arguably allow for better conformity along a wider range of movement.

I wouldn't disagree with you from a productivity point of view (say you're making military uniforms). Although I'd add functionality and durability to these characteristics and replace "material" by "material + work". Not sure that's what I want to discuss here but it's an interesting point nonetheless.

Originally Posted by unjung
So a British jacket has a better "fit" than an American jacket?

If you mean a sack suit versus a traditional, well-executed Savile Row bespoke suit, yes. But that doesn't make it better or worse. The sack might still look better. And maybe it allows for more motion, even if the fit is 'worse'.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this may be an over-generalization, but to me the best "fit" is the one in which the wearer feels the most confident and comfortable while other people tend to agree.

Yeah, you may say, "eff other people", I like my balls to show when I wear my skinny jeans and that is the best fit for me. But consider this scenario, on day 1 you are dressed casual and wear skinny ass jeans (deemed by the public to be too skinny). You may get some awkward stares from strangers and comments from friends saying, man, those jeans are too tight. Of course you'll have some embarassment and you won't feel comfortable and how can this translate to a good fit? Don't forget that you'll also be physically uncomfortable if the jeans are too skinny and you can't sit down for a long time without your stomach hurting (I've been there in the past).

On the other hand, if you wear a nice pair of straight leg jeans, dark and clean. You may feel good but not so unique, however you get compliments almost the entire day you wear them (because you don't look like a emo kid or an abercrombie dude, you look just like a grown man). You will feel good and you will wear the jeans more often. This in many (not all) circumstances = a better fit.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

I use this around the jumblies:

assos-chamois-cream-main.jpg

Cuts down on friction.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Fit is simply thus:

It is the individualized adaptation of standard forms. These forms differ by place, time and culture, and some forms are more sensitive to variations in construction than others.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Let's concentrate the discussioin.

Sometimes a departure from fit using loose forms, like an ascot instead of a necktie, can yield thought-provoking results:

103_1851-1.jpg

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads