• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit question

ben220

Reaction score
Newbie question here, these are my first pair of nicer jeans: are they too long? I feel that they are..they sort of dive in at the ankle, then flare out...but I wanted to check with others because I wouldn't want to have them re-hemmed too short. Thanks in advance.

p.s. they are APC Rescues

racetrack

Reaction score
This belongs in the "Ask a Question, Get an Answer" thread..

ben220

Reaction score
Originally Posted by racetrack
This belongs in the "Ask a Question, Get an Answer" thread..

I did check the last few pages of that thread before I posted and it did not seem like it belonged there.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Hopefully this will just be moved to the "I Have a Jean" thread.

In the meantime, the answer to this question (and we've been getting them a lot lately for some reason) is always the same:
-Stacking looks more uniform (better) with narrow hems typically under 8".
-You can fix the stacking a bit by spraying the hems with water to soften them up and then mold as you wish.
-Have you considered simply cuffing them?
-Everyone here is going to have their own say based on personal preference. Your best bet to play around with them and see what works best for you.
-If you go with hemming, make sure you wear your jeans for about a week so that the honeycomb creases have a chance to set; hemming fresh jeans may mean losing more of the inseam a few wears later.

ben220

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini

In the meantime, the answer to this question (and we've been getting them a lot lately for some reason) is always the same:
-You can fix the stacking a bit by spraying the hems with water to soften them up and then mold as you wish.
-Everyone here is going to have their own say based on personal preference. Your best bet to play around with them and see what works best for you.
-If you go with hemming, make sure you wear your jeans for about a week so that the honeycomb creases have a chance to set; hemming fresh jeans may mean losing more of the inseam a few wears later.

Thanks for the advice, very helpful...I didn't check the I Have a Jean Thread, my mistake.
Could explain your last point "hemming fresh jeans may mean losing more of the inseam a few wears later" -- I don't quite get it.

KaiserSose

Reaction score

Is this stickied anywhere? If not, it should be.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ben220
Thanks for the advice, very helpful...I didn't check the I Have a Jean Thread, my mistake.
Could explain your last point "hemming fresh jeans may mean losing more of the inseam a few wears later" -- I don't quite get it.

Simple: what happens when you fold or crease fabric? The total length becomes shorter. Raw jeans tend to be stiffer than washed jeans, or trousers in general, and therefore also tend to hold creases specifically at the hems, thighs, and, most importantly in this case, the backs of the knees. These knee creases are also known as honeycombs. If you hem a pair of raw jeans straight from the shop, what happens? After a few wears the honeycombs form through creasing thus shortening the inseam about an inch or so. People new to denim sometimes fail to take the fabric into consideration and simply hem them like they would a pair of slacks. The best advice is to wear your jeans for a week or two until the honeycombs have set, as in they are creased even when you're not wearing them, and THEN take them to be hemmed if you still find them to be a bit long.

ben220

Reaction score
Simple: what happens when you fold or crease fabric? The total length becomes shorter.

Raw jeans tend to be stiffer than washed jeans, or trousers in general, and therefore also tend to hold creases specifically at the hems, thighs, and, most importantly in this case, the backs of the knees. These knee creases are also known as honeycombs.

If you hem a pair of raw jeans straight from the shop, what happens? After a few wears the honeycombs form through creasing thus shortening the inseam about an inch or so. People new to denim sometimes fail to take the fabric into consideration and simply hem them like they would a pair of slacks.

The best advice is to wear your jeans for a week or two until the honeycombs have set, as in they are creased even when you're not wearing them, and THEN take them to be hemmed if you still find them to be a bit long.

mmm, I understand now. Thanks.

obeserabbit

Reaction score
no offense OP, but have you thought about getting new shoes?

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whodini gave great advice. Stacking is a matter of preference man. Yours look ok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads