• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Fit pics" of Filson briefcase or tote?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to be too many real "fit pics" of people wearing/holding their Filson's..I have the 256, and I'm not sure how best to wear it. I usually just carry like a briefcase from the handles, but the strap would be nice sometimes.

How do you wear them? I'm a small guy, and I find it a little overwhelming when worn like a messenger bag, it's too structured and sticks out instead of conforming to my body.

Would I be better off with the tote, just carrying it with the straps over one shoulder? Thanks guys!

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Morgan

Reaction score
I alway carry mine by the handles because it's so much cleaner. No matter what you're wearing, a shoulder strap will crumple, twist, and distort the whole upper half of your clothing. It looks bad with a collared shirt and terrible with a jacket, and heinous with a suit. I kept my strap but never use it.

korce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
it's too structured and sticks out instead of conforming to my body.

You'll probably find that as the bag takes on some wear the fabric will soften and won't "stick out" as much.

I wear my 257 over the shoulder all the time, though this is mainly when I'm riding a bike (main mode of transport).

If I'm walking around, chances are I'm carrying it by the handles.

van_hammersly

Reaction score
^

I wear it over my shoulder, but I'm a student so using it like a briefcase would look a little out of place. Like the man said, once it gets nice and broken in it won't be so rigid and should 'conform' to your body better.

Darryl M R

Reaction score
Would it be possible that you two could post you wearing them? I'm considering buying one but it does seem quite stiff.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1 on this picture request... I think this is from Sartorialist
cardigancranberrynavypa.jpg

Darryl M R

Reaction score
Wow that picture looks so differently from the one on the site. [Thanks for the picture] Are there any pictures with it worn as a messenger bag? Since from the looks of it now, it would look better like that.

Ozarks

Reaction score
Me wearing it and me holding it. I switch off based on how much stuff I'm carrying.
57.jpg
58.jpg

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I'm missing your perfect fitting clothes in WAYWT, should post more.

Darryl M R

Reaction score
How is that the picture Master-Classter posted makes the bag material looks softer and flexible but the Ozarks picture makes it look stiff? Can anyone explain this, perhaps the camera they are using makes it look like that?

Ozarks

Reaction score
Mine is probably a lot newer than the other one in the picture. I also had very "structured" things in at the time (e.g. books, laptop, etc.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if possible, get your hands on a "new" and "heavily used" filson bag and you will understand.

My first 2 filson pieces (a small carry on and a medium duffel bag) were used heavily for 3 years. I ended up buying a few more pieces in different sizes and only then did I realize how soft my two original bags were and how stiff the new ones were. New bags can probably stand up on their own with nothing in them. Used ones would be too soft to do that, hence as they age they would conform more to your body if you chose to wear them as messenger bags.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
if possible, get your hands on a "new" and "heavily used" filson bag and you will understand.

My first 2 filson pieces (a small carry on and a medium duffel bag) were used heavily for 3 years. I ended up buying a few more pieces in different sizes and only then did I realize how soft my two original bags were and how stiff the new ones were. New bags can probably stand up on their own with nothing in them. Used ones would be too soft to do that, hence as they age they would conform more to your body if you chose to wear them as messenger bags.

I'm trying "manually distressing" mine...basically turning it inside out and sitting on it
blush.gif

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, anyone with the tote?

laughter95

Reaction score
longskate88,

do you think you could post some pictures of your filson 256, preferably with some things in it? i'm contemplating buying one in my final year of undergraduate studies, but i want to make sure that there's enough room for my laptop/binder and maybe a thick textbook. i don't want to have anything bulky.

...or could someone talk me into buying the bigger 257 model?

thanks for the input.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads