1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fit opinion on 2 suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mech IFR, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I'm 6'2". I'm pretty sure the trousers are where the should be. Probably a height issue?

Yeah, you're definitely gonna need long sizes at 6'2". Measure around your chest under your arm-pits in inches, then add an L and that's the size you want. Those jackets sound like somewhere around a 36R-37R, so you probably want more like a 38L-40L.

2. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

This is the type of info I'm looking for, thanks scurvy. I'll start making my way thru Vox's thread. Also, armpit to armpit the jackets measure 19.5 (pin) and 19.75 (tan). Shoulders are 16.5 and length (BOC) is 29.75 (pin) and 29.5 (tan). Sleeves are 23 on both suits as measured by A Harris' method. I have another mid grey micro-check suit of the same quality (same tailor/donor) in the same measurements.
    My guess is that those jackets are size 36. I wear 38R-40s depending on the brand and I'm 5'6.5" 160. My chest measures 40 around and my jackets, regardless of label usually measure about 21 pit to pit. Sometimes a 38 fits perfect, but sometimes it's only 19.5 pit-pit and therefore too tight. Sometimes a 40s is as much as 22 pit-pit and therefore too big. The shoulders that fit me are 17.5-18. Most size 40 are 19 across the shoulders, but some are 18, so it's truly hunting and pecking for the right fit across a range of sizes. My guess is that you need a 40L-42L depending on brand based upon your height and weight. Good luck.

3. pendragon

pendragon Senior member

Next time you are tempted by a suit like that, think of a fat assed girl squeezing into her little sister's jeans.

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

The balance is way off for you. The fronts are too short and the back is too long.

Overall, the coat is too short.

5. ruben

ruben Senior member

I agree that the whole thing is too small/short, though the shoulders don't look terrible from the front, just odd.
    if that makes sense.

6. greyinla

greyinla Senior member

What they said, too small.

But proportions and quality look decent; you can probably sell them for a profit on ebay or B&S.[​IMG]

7. jackgibbs

jackgibbs Active Member

Next time you are tempted by a suit like that, think of a fat assed girl squeezing into her little sister's jeans.

ugh.

it's obvious from his post that he knows these suits don't fit; he wants to know why. comments like this don't help anything, they just make me think you're a gigantic asshole.

I love this forum for its wealth of knowledge, I just really wish I could read it without posts like this

8. JensenH

JensenH Senior member

You are definitely a "long" for your suit size. Notice the waist of both jackets are higher than where your waist is.

9. Bishop of Briggs

Bishop of Briggs Senior member

ugh. it's obvious from his post that he knows these suits don't fit; he wants to know why. comments like this don't help anything, they just make me think you're a gigantic asshole. I love this forum for its wealth of knowledge, I just really wish I could read it without posts like this
    Spot on. The word cunt is apt to describe time-wasting morons like the original poster.

10. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Spot on. The word cunt is apt to describe time-wasting morons like the original poster.

A bishop and such a foul mouth on him. Sometimes I despair of the world.

11. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

You are definitely a "long" for your suit size.

Yeah, you're definitely gonna need long sizes at 6'2".

not necessarily. it depends on the brand and the cut, and on your body's proportions (e.g., how short or long your torso is in comparison to your legs, and to a lesser degree, your arm length). i'm the OP's height and a R will often fit me fine (without pushing the envelope on short jackets at all). also, i wouldn't come to determinations about R or L based on the suits the OP is wearing. those suits were clearly made for someone who is a tad less broad, but substantially shorter.

12. mech IFR

mech IFR Well-Known Member

Much appreciated guys. With many of your comments in mind, I dropped by my tailor for his thoughts. He echoed most of the (constructive) criticism already posted.

This has been a great educational experience. Much has been learned about where the waist and coat bottom should sit. Chest size and sleeve length as well.

Thanks again and you'll probably see these sets in the B&S section soon.

13. dsmolken

dsmolken Senior member

This has been a great educational experience. Much has been learned about where the waist and coat bottom should sit. Chest size and sleeve length as well.
    I'd like to second that. Learned a lot reading this that would be difficult to learn just reading about stuff that fits well.

14. GBR

GBR Senior member

Take them back where you got them from: They are simply too small.